PCM Down Conversion - plays as?

bomber1978

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a DVD-Video disc I made to play audio only eg. blank/black screen with 24bit/96 audio.
I'm playing the disc in an Australian Panasonic DMR-BWT750 Blu-ray player, with digitial co-axial to my surround sound stereo system it only plays on the 2 front speakers and not the back speakers (my stereo system screen is saying 24bit/96 when it's playing on the 2 front speakers).

I can get it to play on the back speakers if on the Panasonic DMR-BWT750 Blu-ray player I go to Funtion Menu > Setup > Basic Settings > Sound > Digital Audio Output and change 'PCM Down Conversion' from OFF to ON.
My question is what is it down converted to?, the original disc is 24bit/96, is it downconverted to 24/48 ?, or will it also be converting 24bit to 16bit?

Thanks in advance for any help...

PCM Down Conversion

Select how to output audio with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz.

It will be converted to 48 kHz regardless of the setting in following cases.
The signals have a sampling frequency of over 96 kHz.
The disc has copy protection.
“BD-Video Secondary Audio” is set to “On”. ( BD-V )

[On] Signals are converted to 48 kHz. (Choose when the connected equipment cannot process signals with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz.)

[Off] Signals are output as 96 kHz. (Choose when the connected equipment can process signals with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz.)

Thanks is that info from the DMR-BWT750 manual?, I did not see it when I looked in my Australian manual.

So what about 24bit, is that being down converted also, or remains as 24bit?

And why would my surround stereo only play 24/96 files in the front speakers and not back speakers?, it plays normal 2ch PCM WAV files burned to DVD-Video as 16/44.1 and 24/48 in the back speakers but not 24/96, does it mean the back speakers can’t play 96 but the front can?, when I play a 24/96 disc my stereo screen says 24bit/96 so seems it’s playing 24/96 but won’t let me select back speakers like I can with 16/44.1 and 24/48.

Last edited:
Thanks is that info from the DMR-BWT750 manual?, I did not see it when I looked in my Australian manual.

Actually - I got that from the Australian manual. I do not have it to hand at the moment - It was somewhere in the settings section. Page 69 rings a bell - but I could easily be wrong.
So what about 24bit, is that being down converted also, or remains as 24bit?

I interpret the above setting to only apply to 96 bit material, so I would expect 24 bit to remain unaffected.
And why would my surround stereo only play 24/96 files in the front speakers and not back speakers?, it plays normal 2ch PCM WAV files burned to DVD-Video as 16/44.1 and 24/48 in the back speakers but not 24/96, does it mean the back speakers can’t play 96 but the front can?, when I play a 24/96 disc my stereo screen says 24bit/96 so seems it’s playing 24/96 but won’t let me select back speakers like I can with 16/44.1 and 24/48.

I cannot answer those questions - I'll see if I can make some sense when I get my hands on the manual again.

Just found it on page 82 of my manual, missed it when I first looked....
It doesn’t mention bit depth so it seems only sample rate is down converted and bit depth stays same, so 24/96 will be output as 24/48.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom