PCM Decoding seams tempremental?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Marcus96, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Marcus96

Marcus96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using a "Home Cinema System In-A-Box" type setup (LG 5.1) and I don't know if this issue has anything to do with my receiver or setup. The following problem is that:

-With the PS3 set to output LPCM 5.1, the receiver decodes it perfectly fine, sound comes from all channels and it shows up as a 5.1 source on the display window of the receiver.

-With the Wii U set to output LPCM 5.1, the receiver only recognizes it as a 2 channel source (2 channel in the display window and nothing from the rear/center channels).

So at the moment I am having to set my Wii U to 2 channel stereo and the receiver to PL-II Movie, which is nowhere near as good as true 5.1 channel sound!

Does this have anything to do with the signal being output from the Wii U console? Are there different types of LPCM? How come my PS3 works fine in LPCM 5.1, but the Wii U not? What am I/the receiver/console doing wrong?

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    How is the Wii U connected to the receiver? Multichannel LPCM can only be conveyed via HDMI so if using an S/PDIF optical connection from the Wii U then you'll be limited to 2 channels of LPCM data.

3. Marcus96

Marcus96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I am using HDMI for the Wii U, the same as the PS3.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
    Are you sure that the content you are playing actually has discrete surround sound? I'd have to suggest it to be an issue with the Wii given that your PS3 doesn't portray similar behaviour.

5. Marcus96

Marcus96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It may be an issue with the Wii U, however I did at first connect it to an Onkyo TX-SR875 and it said "Multi-ch" on the display window. When I moved the Wii U to another room (from family room to games room), the LG receiver see's it as a 2Ch source.

6. Marcus96

Marcus96

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bump. Anyone?