PCLinuxOS - a superb O/S well worth trying

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by kaboodle_fish, Apr 25, 2007.

1. kaboodle_fish

kaboodle_fish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been using it for a while now and I have to say I am very impressed indeed. Anyone put off Linux because they think it's all about the command line and compiling code should take a look. I am virtually a complete Linux novice and have had no problems whatsoever. (Not had to use the command line once!)

You can download a LiveCD which allows you to check if you like it or not without making any changes to your system and if you do, then installing is easy as 1-2-3. If you're running XP you can even ask it to partition your hard drive so you can dual boot.

Go on, give it a go. You've nothing to lose and lots to gain!

2. shay0

shay0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +489
    For anyone who wants an easier alternative, I'd recommend DSL (Damn Small Linux). It runs happily as any other program in Windows and is about 64MB in size. No partitioning, no installation, just unzip and go :)

3. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I have run PCLinuxOS as well as other distros on a dual boot with XP for a while. I have to say that PCLinuxOS along with Simply Mepis were the two distros that stood out as easy to use and set up for a long time Windows user. PCLinuxOS is so good that I have installed PCLinuxOS as my sole OS and dumped XP altogether and am not missing it a bit. :clap:

p.s. where is the Linux forum? From stats that I have seen, OS-X and linux have about the same userbase, so it deserves it's own space on AVForums.