PCLine Firewire Card - Can't get it to work in Win XP !

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Stu Ward, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought this card from PCWorld, when trying to install it i get an Invalid Data error message

There is a big sticker on the box saying the the card is XP compliant

Any ideas whats going wrong, or where i could download the drivers from ?

By the way, Xp recognises it as a Texas Instruments card

Stu

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,473
    Most of the cheaper OHCI cards are based on the TI chipset, therefore XP sees it as a TI card.

Firewire cards do not have drivers as such. They are just an interface that has support for them built into Windows (98se or later). Try moving the card to another PCI slot. If this does not help then it looks like the card might be faulty.:rolleyes: :(

Another thought.....
    did you upgrade to XP or did you buy XP on a new PC.
    If you upgraded then it might help if you format your hard disk and install direct from the XP disk (if an upgrade disk it will ask for the old Windows disk, but this will not need to be installed first) as there have been many reported problems with XP upgrades.

Good luck
    Mark.

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stu

Did you suss this, as I've just encountered the same probs :(

4. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks. The URL above got truncated....I presume it is http://www.computing.net/drivers/wwwboard/forum/1096.html

Anyway followed the instructions & ensured all permissions under PCI were set correctly. Still have the problem though. Basically when the camera is connected & then switched on, under device Mgr you get a 61883 Class Bus Device start, but when it tries to load its drivers it comes up "data invalid". Is this what you had.

Looks like the card has installed ok as a "IEEE 1394 Bus host controller" listed as a "Texas INstruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host COntoller".

Any help much appreciated b4 I'm back off to PCWorld for a refund ;)

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AHA...so the forum truncates it.......the bit around www.... should read "wwwboard/forum/1096.html"

7. Stu Ward

Stu Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What OS are you running XP ?

All i did was follow the the instructions to the letter and it worked, next time i booted the computer it instantly recognised the card and i was away

If i remember right, in Regedit the string to the folder wasn't exact, but it was pretty self explanatory

If i can help anymore i will try

Stu

8. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Stu

Yes I am running XP. Problem still existed after following the above steps. Have fixed problem though by installing XP Service Pack 1.

For anyone else running XP with problems, after reading god knows how many posts, I can only recommend adding the Service Pack. Saves a lot of time in the long run :)

Cheers Dave