PCIe power connections on graphics card

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by chris redfield, Feb 22, 2014.

1. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I thought i'd ask in a separate thread as the questions were going off topic, couldn't find a specific thread for parts and pc building. my new build is practically done ,got the graphics card through today and a little confused at the power connections. with the card I received this small lead;
    [​IMG]
    its barely long enough to reach the psu and has 2x 6 hole/pin connections on it. the slots which it goes into though have 1x 6 hole/pin and 1x 8 hole/pin... so i'm not sure which slots I should connect into?
    [​IMG]
    I don't think the lead which came with it will reach the psu although the psu came with spare power leads (much higher quality and longer) which are labelled specifically for use with "pci express".
    [​IMG]
    the thing is that they have even less pins than the lead which the card came with. there is quite a few though, I think I have 4 in total and an additional 5th one which has another socket specifically stating "sli ready" as well connectors labelled "pci express" (it splits into two sets of sockets).
    [​IMG]
    so I was wondering since I have 4 leads and only 2 graphics card slots .do I use 2 of the leads that came with the psu for each card? how should I connect them up? which bits go into where?

2. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    The adapter you have received with your graphics card is incase your PSU doesn't have an 8-pin PCIe connector. As yours does, plug in an 8-pin and a 6-pin directly from your PSU to the GPU.

3. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    so I plug each one labelled pci express into each of the sockets? the bit at the end which has 2 pins doesn't look like it will fit into the spare 2 slots as its a different shape. this means I will have 2 of the leads from the psu unconnected and a spare 2 slots. is it ok for that part not to be connected? (its the 2 sockets on the far left of the grouping on the graphics card pic).

4. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    It's done as a 6+2. You can ignore the 2 extra pins to have a 6-pin connector or attach the 2 pins to the side and end up with an 8-pin connector. You need to do both the former and the latter to power your card.

The release clip on the connector from your power supply should be away from the cooler (on the top in your second picture)

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  6. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I may have to do that because i'm having problems with my pc detecting there is a graphics card in there. its not seeing anything, tried installing and uninstalling the drivers which came with it on cd about half a dozen times, downloaded the latest ones from the web too and still nothing is recognised....

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
  8. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    well I have tried all the different leads, the one that came with the card wouldn't even attach to the psu connectors. spent all day, installing,uninstalling drivers. googled around the web for solutions, tried changing the card over to the other graphics card slot, tried installing one of the windows c++ updates, tried updating the bios. everything that I could see suggested on the web. still nothing, and this card isn't being recognised by the computer. considering taking it around to the shop on monday and asking them to take a look at it, will probably cost a fair bit for that....
    perhaps I should try formatting the hard drive and ssd and starting over again? will probably try and get hold of a lead which connects every slot. noticed that there is a couple of led lights next to the connections, one is green when its turned on while the other one is red. its like that no matter what lead I try.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  9. GMC79

GMC79
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,178
    Im not sure the card would be detected properly in windows without it's power cables so wouldn't worry about that till it's all connected properly. Leave drivers till all connected too as that wont work untill then either id expect..
    Weird about the connectors from psu not fitting, never heard about that.

10. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    i'll try and get some photos later so you can see it.

11. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    wrote an email to the company that made the psu asking if they can advise what type of lead would work. tbh I sort of have the feeling I should be emailing radeon or asus? i'll get to that in a sec...
    so this is what the connectors on the psu look like, they are 9 pin;
    [​IMG]
    that black connector which is the one supplied with the video card aint gonna go in there, tried jostling it around but its not made to fit, neither end is made to fit with this psu.
    [​IMG]
    tbh this end fits perfectly in the video card but then it leaves additional problems...
    [​IMG]
    the other ends don't fit into the psu either and it still leaves a 6 pin empty part. maybe it is meant go this way around though and those connectors on the other end would fit into other standards of psu? I don't have much experience of this so I don't really know. from the looking around on the web that i've found people are saying both the 8 pin section and the 6 pin section need to be plugged. so that would still leave the issue of them supplying something for only one half of the cards power. (do they expect the person purchasing to have the other power lead?)
    thinking of contacting either asus or radeon, but not sure who would be best to help. radeon make the cards but asus do the modification. i'm a little disappointed about the lack of documentation with the card or clarity explaining about it all to the customer really.

12. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    The only cables that should be used directly with the PSU are the ones that came with it. What make and model is the PSU?.

13. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Superflower Leadex Platinum 1000w fully modular "80 Plus Platinum" Power Supply Black (NESF-010)

14. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    The card won't show up until it is properly powered (all connectors populated and properly powered). The adapter which came with the graphics card does not plug directly into your PSU. Which PSU do you have?

15. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    You replied to Joe at the same time I posted.

That PSU definitely has the correct connectors. Use either the lead with a 6+2 and a 6-pin or two of the leads with 6+2 pin connectors, you had them in your 3rd and 4th pics in the first post of this thread.

16. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    Connect like this......

Attached Files:

17. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    tried both of those and it wasn't recognising them. those leads in the 3rd and 4th pic will only fit into 6 pin slots and in the case of the 8 pin grouping it leaves 2 empty. the two that are separated will not fit to make 8 filled slots (they are the wrong shape).

18. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I think you may have cracked it! i've just tried that outside of the case and yea that works. will try it out inside the case.

19. tinrib

tinrib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Tbh i think i had the same cable as you that came with my gpu... but you dont need them. simply plug the pci cables direct from psu to gpu. my gpu also has a 6 pin and 8 pin connector so like yours you just push the 6 and 2 pin together to make the 8.

20. tinrib

tinrib

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    ^ ignore me, you've got it!

21. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,675
    There really isn't any need to with the PSU the OP has.

Then I'm sorry but I believe you're doing something wrong.

22. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    He's already posted photo's of the PCI-E 6+2 connectors that came with the PSU, and if they are all the same, then the '+2pin parts of each are indeed the wrong shape for the graphics card 8pin socket (according to those photos). I don't think he's done anything wrong.....at least in that regard ;) (no disrespect Chris)

23. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    well some progress from that setup you posted joe. the leds are now both green rather than one red and one green before. I can now get a hdmi out signal from the graphics card previously I couldn't get anything,its not perfect but its something, the card still isn't showing up in the device manager though.

24. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    Maybe check the motherboard bios to make sure the PCI-E slot/card is being initialized first? (rather than any onboard gpu). Though I doubt you'd get any signal from the gfx card hdmi output if that wasn't the case :confused:

25. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    its kind of weird, the card looks like it is functioning,in a basic sense. but there is no software to configure any settings and its not appearing anywhere in the device manager still. normally this is the sort of thing I would have thought the drivers would sort out. but it hasn't.

26. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    If windows isn't detecting it at the very least as an 'unknown' device, then drivers won't make a blind bit of difference anyway (imo). You mentioned having 2 graphic card slots on the mobo........have you tried it in both?

27. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I could try swapping it over to the other one again. just tried booting into bios, but for some reason ever since I got a signal out from the card I can't see any of the loading screens... the monitor refuses to turn on until windows has fully loaded and I can sign in. the hdmi out on the card only works once windows is loaded. so I can't access any boot menus currently.
    edit;
    figured out how to access the boot menu, if I disconnect the power leads to the gpu, I can get access as the monitor now turns on and displays during boot. it won't if the gpu is connected.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  28. chris redfield

chris redfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I solved the problem. it now recognises the card and yep that way to setup the leads works. I had to format the drive and install everything all over again, this time having the power connected right,using joes setup. and not having the installation of the drivers go wrong. I think what might have happened is the driver installation got corrupted. you have to download this;
    Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 11.0 Download (Free) - rundll32.exe
    and this;
    Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2012 Update 3 - Software Informer. It is a package that installs runtime components of Visual C++ libraries.
    and install them before installing the cd drivers which comes with the 290. of course no one would know this before trial and error...
    what a day lol.

29. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,353
    Glad you finally got it all working :thumbsup: