PCI to AGP adapter? or PCI graphic cards

P

pat22

Hi,

Just bought an ATI 9600 to realise that my computer doesn’t have an AGP slot :( 4 months old Dell 2400, I guess I assumed the AGP was by default in all computers).

So my questions are:

Is it possible to find a PCI to AGP adapter? (Excuse my ignorance)

If not, what is the best PCI card I can find (my requirements are video editing & DVI output for a projector)?
Would something like the PowerColor Radeon 9200 256MB DDR or Gainward GeForce FX 5200 64MB DDR perform better then my Intel 845GV inboard card?

Or any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Patrice

cyberheater

1/ No. There is no AGP to PCI adaptor.

2/ A Radeon 7200 comes in PCI flavour and will be worth a look. The key difference is that the Radeons can be set to non-default resolutions for 1:1 pixel mapping for projectors etc... Where's the inbuilt vga will only allow standard PC resolutions.

uczmeg

You can get a PCI Sapphire Radeon 9200SE with 128 meg of RAM from Komplett for £41 (after VAT and delivery).

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=122219&p=&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&cks=SER

They have quite a few PCI Radeons there. Only one left of that specific one, but if you search for Radeon and go through the list you'll find a few. For some reason you can't search for radeon and pci, but the list isn't too long!

This was the best value one I could find after much searching. I have one on order as I'm in a similar situation with a small PC I want to try for DVD playback.

I deliberately avoided the (otherwise excellent value) Dell 2400 because of it's lack of AGP port. I use 4600 which lets me drive 2 monitors.

You should be able to sell your 9600 here easily.

Cheers
Marc

uczmeg

And now after actually reading the original post... ;)

Graphics cards are virtually always better than onboard graphics for anything other than standard PC work.

As mentioned Radeons are better for projectors due to them being more likely able to achieve 1:1 pixel mapping, but also for output of DVD playback, where they tend to be favoured for image quality.

A 9200 should suit your needs. It's not the best card for gaming but would still be better than your onboard graphics.

Cheers
Marc

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Beware though - PCI graphics cards are far slower than AGP graphics cards (even the onboard ones), so a new graphics card may be slower than the one you have already.

P

pat22

Thank you very much guys.

I was hoping to get a replacement, I only had the card for 3 days from Komplett.

I understand it's difficult to compare unless you try, but I am ready to take the risk.

I am hesitating between the:
Sapphire Radeon 9200 Atlantis 128MB DDR
or the PowerColor Radeon 9200 256MB DDR

Any thought?

Thank you
Patrice

R

rob_w

I've got a pci radeon 9000 with dvi out. (64 Mb)

I'd be up for a swap with some cash adjustment to you.

Cheers

Rob

50/50

Standard Member
I cant believe a 4 month old Dell hasnt got an AGP slot !

Even the cheapest £20 motherboards have one. Thats just another reason to avoid them like a plague. And good look when upgrading your memory, they fit 'special' dell memory that cost about £100 128mb ram.

PCI cards are nearly non exsistant these days, good look trying to find a decent one.

Sorry for the Negative reply, but Dell annoy me.

cyberheater

Originally posted by 50/50
I cant believe a 4 month old Dell hasnt got an AGP slot !

Even the cheapest £20 motherboards have one. Thats just another reason to avoid them like a plague. And good look when upgrading your memory, they fit 'special' dell memory that cost about £100 128mb ram.

PCI cards are nearly non exsistant these days, good look trying to find a decent one.

Sorry for the Negative reply, but Dell annoy me.
This is common on the base Del models. 2 of my mates got one recently and none of them have AGP slots on them,