1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI Graphix Cards!!!

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by ShMoNe!!, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ShMoNe!!

ShMoNe!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello helpfull ones,
    i am a complete PC novice and wish to update my Graphix Card to enable me to play CS.Source. Problem is i only have PCI slots. Whats the best card i can get for no more than £120

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    I cant be sure here but, you might have a hard time finding a card for PCi that can run a game like CS Source.My advice is build a new PC with a new motherboard with at least AGP X8.

You can build a decent PC these days for about 2 or 3 hundred quid. Thats with no software or monitor though.

You would need new mo bo, CPU, memory and a good graphics card like a 6800.

If your PC only has PCi slots and no AGP slot then i assume that its quite old?

Your CPU may infact be the limiting factor in playing a game like CS.S. So it might be better to start again from scratch.

Specs I recomend would be:

P4 3ghz or higher, 1gb RAM, and an Nvidia 6800GT.

Use the built in sound chips on the new board and anything else that comes built in. (LAN and such)

As for OS. I recomend getting a copy of XP for gaming. Home or Pro.

That should keep you going for a while.

3. ShMoNe!!

ShMoNe!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PC is less than 1 year old! Its a **** Dell tho.
    Thanks for your help looks like i'll have to start again

4. Kamui

Kamui
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best bet is to open it up and find the make/model no. on the motherboard then do a google search.

Chances are if its less than a year old and has no agp slot i would imagine its pci express motherboard which a lot dont have the old agp slot Most of the graphics card makers are switching over to pci express.

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    More likely to be an integrated video chipset hence the missing AGP slot but the motherboard has to have PCI slots for other addon cards.
    As indicated a PCI solution would probably not provide the horsepower to push a graphic intensive game so depending upon the design of the DELL a motherboard upgrade with a more powerful ATI or Nvidia graphics chipset could be viable since you may be able to use the existing cpu/psu, drives etc.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,758
    You should be able to find the specs of the Dell computer just from the model number so you will probably have that without having to look inside. Even the very best PCI graphics card (I don't think you'll find many either) will not be much better than your onboard graphics due to bandwidth limitations etc.
    Now if it has PCI-Express then that is a different matter altogether !

7. stormjai

stormjai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I,m certain it will be a PCI-E card in there. Dell have been putting these, even into low end models for last 18 months..and definately AGP for years before that. So Highly unlikely it is an old PCI graphics connection.. :smashin: Check sytem specs..

If PCI-E, loads of choices..

8. ShMoNe!!

ShMoNe!!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help so far! I've checked and it does not have AGP or PCI express slots so any ideas on a compatible motherboard. Its a Dell Dimension 3000 80GB,512MB,2.93 GHz Celeron and i dont want to pay too much :0

[How i wish i knew what i was doing!!!!!!!!!!!]

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    The problem with Dells is that they are hard to upgrade. An extra HDD or Memory stick here or there is easy. But since their motherboards are custom made they make it extra hard to add in a new CPU or Graphics card.

Its unusual for a one year old mo bo not to have at least an AGP slot in there.

You should be able to salvage the memory, and POSSIBLY the CPU, but it its a custom job like the ones ive seen, that CPU wont fit into a regular mo bo which you would buy in the shops.

I also had the missfortune of starting off with a dell, but then i realised that to be able to do exactly what you want and change things over time you really need to build your own.

Its really not that hard.

First thing to do is get informed. There are lots of sites and magazines that show you how to build PCs.

I recomend you salvage as much as you can from your old PC in order to save money.

As i mentioned the memory should work on your new PC. So should the optical drives. (DVD drives, flopy)

Also your monitor.

Even you HDD could be salvaged. But i recomend a fresh start.

All you would really need is a new motherboard, and a CPU of your choice. Followed by a new graphics card.

Im guessing the PC you have now is a desktop?. Perhaps one of those slim line ones?

You may need a new Case and Power supply too. (You can get them as a bundle.)

Another way of doing this, IF its too much hassle, is to go the "Shuttle, Bare Bone" way.

Ive done this myself and its a lot easyer.

Shuttle PCs (ammong other brands) are designed to be easy to build.

You decide on the shuttle case which comes with: case, fans, power supply, motherboard, and all the cables already conected.

All you would need is the memory, cpu and graphics card of your choice. As well as new HDD+software.

All you do is plug it in and away you go. Its fast and easy and these "Bare Bone" PCs are also small.

Here is Shuttles web site so you can get an idea.

http://us.shuttle.com/

This is also a good site to see barebone PCs

http://www.spire.co.uk/page35.html

Just check it out and decide what to do for yourself.

One thing is for sure. You wont be able to play new games like CS source on your current PC.

10. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    this would probably do you, as the guys say, it is limited by the architecture but at that price it might be worth a punt to see if it makes a noticeably difference.

11. kingbilly123

kingbilly123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the same boat - anyone tried that XFX Geforce Fx5200 256 MB to see what it is like? Interested in getting it to work on Counter Strike Source

Thanks for pointing it out

12. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    its a crap card - about half the power of a gf4 ti 4600 .... which is 3 generations back.

and x700pro for £90 would be a far better buy - double the performance of the fx 5200 fps wise in most games.

keep your eye out and see if you can pick up a 6600 GT on one of the 'today onlys '

they go for £129 .... you could probably get one for under £120 on a deal

13. Ethics Gradient

Ethics Gradient
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
  14. PinkPig

PinkPig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the original poster doesn't have an AGP slot.

You won't get any remotely decent PCI graphics card - and the FX5200 is terrible. It'll work, but it really won't be a nice experience.

It's unfortunate that you bought your PC so recently, but a budget OEM system won't be intended for games, and won't generally be particularly upgradable. If you want to get CS:S playing well then you'll need much of a new system unfortunately - at the very least a new motherboard.

15. supersonic87

supersonic87
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just pick up a new motherboard. You can keep all the rest of the components (make sure that there is intergrated sound n the new motherboard or purchase a seperate card).

Dell's no longer use non-standard components, all are standard atx or btx components (at least in the home section), the only problem you may have is needing a new PSU as dells use pretty weedy ones.

Using a new motherboard also lets you overclock the rest of the components, something you cannot do with the 3000 dimensions.

If you really want to go cheap though, you can pick up a 6200 PCI graphics card, and soft mod to a vanilla 6800 (without the extra pipelines unless you are really lucky).