1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI Express x1?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MikeFish, Apr 14, 2005.

1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The PCI Express format has been around for a while. I've had my motherboard for about 4 months now (which has 2 PCI Express x1 slots) but I have yet to find any card that uses these.
    Am I just not looking in the right place or has the format failed to take off?

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it's intended that std pci slots get phased out, this will happen slowly with the next generations of motherboards - then PCI-express cards will me more available.
    at the moment every new pc has PCI cards, so it maks sense for now to concentrate on that part of the market.
    There was a similar transision when PC's moved from the AT Bus to PCI (although there were rival VL and MCA busses available at that time...)

3. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Standard PCI will be here for a while yet.

While card manufacturers continue to make PCI cards, mobo manufacturers will have no incentive to move wholesale over to PCI-E (and vice versa)

I've searched high and low for PCI-Ex1 cards and have found only one......a sound card made by Abit which will only work on Abit motherboards!!!!

Personally, I think PCI-E x1 will be superceded before it ever achieves widespread adoption.

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you're probably right!

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,542
    PCI-E 1x slots are designed for low bandwidth devices, such as soundcards, NIC's etc...

6. probedb

probedb
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I think it's possible Creative's next sound card will be a PCIe x1, though it'd be stupid not to release it as a PCI card as well :) Can you get any PCIe RAID controllers yet? It's ideal for that sort of thing I'd guess?

7. stuartmc

stuartmc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0