1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PCI Express or AGP?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Triggaaar, Dec 5, 2004.

1. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'm about to get a new system. Currently in favour of Athlon 64, and I expect to get something like a Radeon 9800 or nVidea 6600GT. Looking at prices, it seems to be cheaper for the PCI-Express versions of the cards - although compatible motherboards are a little more (not sure if any are available for another week or so), making the total about the same.

Is there any reason not to go for PCI-E? Have there been any real tests yet to see if it's quicker?

2. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    AFAIK there aren't any PCI-E solutions available for Athlon 64 yet and don't think you'll get any until early next year. Manufacturers seem to be really pushing PCI-E though.

I'd say if you're buying a machine that you intend to use for the next couple of years and you only want A64 then I'd say wait a few weeks for PCI-E solutions. If you want PCI-E now you'll have to get intel.

3. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Scan says 13th and 20th Dec for its 2 Athlon 64 PCI-E motherboards, although I have no idea how reliable their dates are.

I was wanting a P4, but have heard the beta 64bit XP is good.

I can wait a few weeks. I assume the potential of PCI-E is better, but I don't tend to upgrade things. Never upgraded a PC before, as I always feel that if I was going to buy a new chip, I'd need a new motherboard, etc etc. But there doesn't seem to be anything against going PCI-E.

Anyone know of real tests of PCI-E vs AGP (for pentiums)?

Thanks

4. mark88

mark88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Both those boards are SLi. All the reports Ive read show there is little, if anything to gain by moving to PCI-E now, but that's not to say that'll still be the case in 18 months. If you're wanting to use two GPUs though, it's a different story

5. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    What does SLi mean?
    I don't currently plan to run 2 GPUs. When the system starts showing its age, is adding a 2nd likely to be a sensible upgrade?

6. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    It's the age old question...

At the moment going for PCI-e offers absolutely no extra benefit over AGP. When the day comes that your graphics cards have 1024mb onboard then perhaps things will be different. Add to the equation the fact that AGP2 has been announced then we could all be waiting for that to be released.

7. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    If a PCI-e motherboard and card costs the same as AGP, but offers the possibility of better future pottential, surely it's the best choice (from 2 weeks time). Still not sure what SLi is though.

8. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Scalable Link Interface. SLI enabled Mobo's allow you to use two GPU's of the same type (eg 2 * 6800GT's) for "increased" performance. I've put increased in ""'s as there's lots of speculation over how good it actually is at this stage in time.

9. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,012
    Ah, thanks. So although there may not be any benefit, its not a negative thing.
    It seems that it isn't a big deal whichever I choose, so I'm more likely to go with whoever will build the PC to the rest of my spec.