PCI E Slots question.

A-Traveller

Standard Member
Hi All.

Would anyone be kind enough to advise me on whether or not there would be any difference between running a Geforce GTX 260 graphics card in motherboard 1 and motherboard 2 below (taken from Gigabyte website). The first one only has one slot running at 16x, whereas the second one has two slots running at 16x.

This may be a really stupid question but I have seen some GTX 260 cards being described as 'PCI-E 2.0 Dual Slot'. Does this mean that they are plugged into two actual PCI E slots on the motherboard? If this is the case, are all of the 260 cards dual slots or are there any that are single slots?

Motherboard 1:

1. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16_1) (Note 4)
2. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4_1) (Note 5)
(The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX4_1 slots support ATI Hybrid CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
3. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots (The PCIEX1_2 and PCIEX1_3 slots share the same PCIe bus with the PCIEX4_1 slot.) (Note 5)
4. 2 x PCI slots

Motherboard 2:

1. 2 x PCI Express x16 slots, running at x16 (The PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology, and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
2. 3 x PCI Express x1 slots
3. 2 x PCI slots

Thanks for any help.

H-out

Standard Member
It will make no diffrence at all.

Both are x16 slots, the card only takes up one x16 slot.

The mobo with two x16 slots is to enable you to run 2 gfx cards together in crossfire/SLI.

A-Traveller

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply H-out. So, if there is any chance that I may add a second card in the future, it would run slower on Motherboard 1?

H-out

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply H-out. So, if there is any chance that I may add a second card in the future, it would run slower on Motherboard 1?

The wording is a bit confusing but yes it looks like if you try to run crossfie on mobo1 you will effectively be running 2x8 instead of 2x16 (lots of P45 boards do this) so limiting the bandwidth.

Will you ever run crossfire though?
Normally it's a better option to sell the card you have and upgrade rather than buy a 2nd older card and run crossfire.
With the first option you'll always have an upgrade path with the second option you're stuck with 2 ancient cards that are worth nothing a few years down the line.

A-Traveller

Standard Member
Hi H-out. I don't think I'll be running crossfire. Usually like to keep my options open. Thanks for the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom