pCARS 2 demo (free on steam)

I’m running it on a Vive Mike, so not the problem sadly. I’ve tried disabling supersampling in Steam VR, as I do have it on normally, but no joy. :(
Like I say, something’s going on as it’s only these two games and Dirt Rally. Everything else runs great. Thanks for the tips though.

In the SteamVR developer settings, make sure async reprojection is enabled, and always-on reprojection is disabled. Interleaved reprojection should also be disabled. Also make sure you're not overriding the dynamic supersampling.

Set the in-game screen resolution to 1920x1080 (I found that gave enough clarity and the correct aspect ratio for the menus) and VR supersampling to 1.0. Set EVERYTHING down to the lowest possible settings. Then ramp up texture detail and track detail incrementally. Then start adding the other bells and whistles (but keep grass low, and the enhanced mirrors to off).

A lot of this will require restarts of the game. I doubt you'll achieve 90fps, but it should still perform above 45fps for the reprojection to do it's thing.

Edit - forgot to add: keep the number of cars on the track down....waaay down. In pCARS1 I could barely have 5 other cars on track before I got the jerks. In pCARS2 I can get it up to 10-12 cars without too much negative impact.

Last edited:
In Dirt Rally your two big frame rate killers are ground cover and shader quality (the one which effects lighting) you will have to have at least one completely off for 90fps. I keep ground cover off as turning the lighting off like you say makes it look like poop.

Hmmm... Something else I was thinking about. The game might be using vsync on you monitor at a lower refresh than the Vive which might cause stuttering if the renderer is waiting on your monitor (unlikely, but I always turn it off in-game for gsync anyway). Turn vsync off if you have it on perhaps?

Thanks very much for the suggestions gents. Pretty sure I’ve already tried those things!! It has been a while though, so I’ll give it a go again soon though and start again from scratch.
I think it’s one small thing causing the problem, so if I can find that.

I take it pcars looks as good, if not better, in vr than AC and R3E for you?

Thanks very much for the suggestions gents. Pretty sure I’ve already tried those things!! It has been a while though, so I’ll give it a go again soon though and start again from scratch.
I think it’s one small thing causing the problem, so if I can find that.

I take it pcars looks as good, if not better, in vr than AC and R3E for you?
It’s blurrier than those for whatever reason though I believe PCars 2 added a sharpness setting in the ini. files to fix it but I’ve not tried that yet.

AC is easily the best, everything is sharp and fully modelled interiors and exteriors, the others are all low poly behind the normal cockpit view.

Have you overclocked either one? You should at least be able to run 45fps with ASW running, you should only get stutter if it’s flicking between ASW 45fps and native 90fps. Below 45 is really obvious more like being drunk as everything goes blurry.

So could just be you are right in between settings that cause ASW to kick on/off a lot in which case if you don’t want the graphical hit you should have enough juice to run near max settings at locked 45 and see how you like it.

Yes. Imo pcars2 looks better. Handling in AC has slight edge in my subjective opinion tho.

I'm surprised how good pcars2 looks compared to pcars1. Everything looks more detailed outside the car, and you can actually see much further down the road (none of that disappearing into an indistinct blur nonsense). Even on the lowest settings it still actually looks quite decent in VR.

You really need to add a bit of cloud and set the time to early morning or evening to get the sun low to add that extra wow factor! And then try a night-time race on one of the oval courses for sheer speed. :D

Steam sale is on and Pcars 2 is £17.99 which is a no brainer.

The Deluxe Edition is only £35 too. I got it a couple of weeks ago for £40 on sale, but this is obviously even better! Can't believe how many hours I've already sunken into it compared with pCars1, it's fantastic

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom