1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC8 vs PC101 vs DVP 7

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Sipiano, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Sipiano

Sipiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a complete novice at this game and am looking to buy my first camcorder. I want something small that will produce good results. I've narrowed the search down to the Sony PC 8, Sony PC101 and the JVC GR DVP 7 EK. I can get the PC8 for £679, the 101 for £889 and the JVC for £839. I'm not particularly bothered about the cost I just want the best camera of the 3 that will produce the best results without any extranious bits and pieces. Are these in fact the cameras I should be looking at or are there better mdels out there ? (that are as equally small.)
    I've read that stills performance on a camcorder is not too hot so I intend to buy a digital stills camera as well.
    Any suggestions guys ?
    Your help would be greatly appreciated.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Investigate Panasonic NV-GX7B.

3. Sipiano

Sipiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that I'll have a look. I was hoping for a few more replies because I want to buy in the next few days and don't want to spend the cash on the wrong one !!
    Anyway, thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

4. WebReaper

WebReaper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've now had a look at both cameras. When you compare the JVC GR-DVP7and the Sony PC101 next to each other, there's no competition - they're so close in size, and the JVC has numerous features missing, such as analogue input, and so on. For example, you can fit an external mic to the JVC, but it's a proprietrary connection, so has to be a (pricey) JVC one.

The Sony's slightly heavier, but this is almost totally down to the fact that the battery's a bit chunkier. Which, IMO, is fair enough, as the guy explained that realistically you get 1-1.5hrs out of the standard Sony battery. The JVC is good for 30-40 minutes in reality. Not much use then, really, if you *have* to carry a spare battery. Oh, and there are about 8 kinds of batteries for the Sony, going all the way up to the daft but practical brick-sized 8-hour job. The JVC's max battery is good for < 2 hours. :-o

The JVC has no thread for attaching filters, meaning that protecting the lens or adding polarising filters isn't possible. Etc., etc. I could go on, but really there's no point. ;-)

Oh, and the best price I've found for the JVC is at www.askdirect.co.uk (£829 inc vat). The best price I've found for the PC101 is from www.camerasdirect.co.uk (£884 inc vat).

So the Sony wins hands down, IMO.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmm... I still really like the Panasonic NV-GX7B.

6. Sipiano

Sipiano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again for the replies. I had basically decided up to last week to go for the 101, but then I read a review in one of the mags (camcorder user) that said the colour reproduction was poor and that the auto focus kept 'hunting.' It also only got 3 stars for picture and sound quality - which are pretty much the things I would imagine you would want a camcorder to be good at !! - this kinda put me off. I know it ended up with a Gold award but this pretty much seemed based on ease of use and features. I also read a review of the PC 8 in what camcorder and it got a cracking review. Hence my indecision and thoughts of getting the PC 8. I'm not sure what more the 101 offers than the 8 ?
    Thanks for the price tips as well.