PC8 vs MV5i, good first cams?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by 21stcenturiboy, Oct 2, 2002.

1. 21stcenturiboy

21stcenturiboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking to buy my first dv cam, looking at the Sony PC8 and the Canon MV5i, has anybody used either and can recommend.
    Or are there better cams with the same sort of features and better performance?
    Any help appreciated!

2. lloyd

lloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    The Sony PC8 and Canon MV5i were my final two choises aswell.
    I loved the size of the Canon and it was very comfortable to hold.
    I therefore went for the Canon MV5i. I was however extreamly dissapointed to notice a very anoying motor hum that was recorded onto the tape. This was noticable under all conditions and not only when very quiet. I also noticed that when used indoors (lower light conditions) the results are noticable grainy.
    It was with some regret that I returned the Canon to the dealer.

I now have the Sony PC8 and I am very satisfied with the camera. The quality of video is better than the Canon, especially indoors, theres no motor noise that I've noticed and the larger LCD touch screen is very good. Its not quiet as compact although theres not a lot in it. Apart from that I think the Sony is the better camera - an excellent first DV camera
    Cheers
    Lloyd