hi
A little while back, I built my own pc :

Shuttle SB86i Barebone PC
Crucial 2x512MB
Pioneer DVD+-R/RW Dual Layer 16x IDE Silver - Drive Only
Intel Pentium P4
WD 160GB hard drive
XP Home Edition

Last month, the PC seems to be have gone haywire i.e XP install doesn't doesn't boot up. I've inserted my XP disc and it goes through the set up process installing the various drives etc.. I get the options to re-install XP or Repair the pc **Note 1 below** (using the recovery console). I selected the Repair option, but the commands on screen was way beyond the capability of my limited grey matters:rolleyes: . Subsequently, I powered off my pc and selected the XP re-install option instead. OK, I know this re-install will format / clear my pc completely, but I have all my files backed up on an ext drive so it not an issue. Having googled "how to reformat my pc", it appears the process is pretty straight forward i.e. follow commands on screen, but when I do select the "Install XP" option, I get the following error message ;

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check for adequate disk space. If driver is identfied in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.
Check with hardware venfor for BIOS updates. Diable memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart PC, press F8 to select Advanced Staryup options, then select safe mode.

Technical information :

*** STOP : 0X0000008E (0XC0000005, 0XF75629A8, 0XF714175C, 0X00000000)

*** setupdd.sys - Address F75629AB base at F753B000, Datestamp 41107c8f"

This is all French to me! Does anyone know what this means???:rolleyes:

Thanks
Tom

NOTE 1 : On the screen view, the option to do a full XP install, hit ENTER, and the option to Repair is R. However, the underneath "box" states "Unknown disk, there is no disk on the drive". This message is repeated twice in the box. Looking at google information, I believe this should read C:\windows "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition". I have no idea what this implies?? (plus my hard drive during initial XP install on on my F drive).

Jowl

Novice Member
I'd start with the RAM.

Try removing one crucial stick and re-installing. If it doesn't work, try the other.

Also check the temp of the processor.

pcdoc

Novice Member
Tomtt ignore that option to Repair, when you get to the stage where it shows you the folder where windows is installed already ie c:\windows there should be an option to select repair at that point, this will look like a fresh install but it is only installing winxp it won't format your hard drive.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I sorted out an XP booting problem the other day by connecting the hard drive as a slave to an existing computer and then doing a chkdsk on it. There were lots of problems detected and the disk then worked ok when I put it back in the original computer. This is not a gauranteed way of doing it, but it did work in my case.
As someone else has said, you can reinstall windows without formatting the drive and you shouldn't lose your stuff on there, but you will have to reinstall all patches that have been released to patch that particular version of windows you have on your CD.

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming To Netflix in October 2020. Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom