PC/Xbox One S DVP Connection Problem

KDFC

Novice Member
Hi

I have a Lenovo 4K monitor that works very well with my PC via a DPV to DPV lead.

I also have an Xbox One S that is connected to the same monitor via a HDMI lead.

The monitor has two connections, HDMI and DVP.

MY question is, is there a way that I could connect the Xbox One S and the PC to the same DVP input on the monitor, like a switcher maybe. I have a HDMI to DVP lead but I have to first unplug the PC from the monitor and disconnect the DVP to DVP lead, plug the HDMI to DVP lead into the monitor to be able to get 4K recognised by the Xbox One S.

Ideally I would like to be able to plug the two (DVP to DVP and HDMI to DVP) leads into the one DVP connection on my monitor to save the hassle of having to unplug leads and plug leads back in again. Is this possible and does a splitter exist that would solve my problem?

Thanks in advance

next010

Distinguished Member
By DVP I assume you mean Displayport.

It would be easier to connect the PC via HDMI to the monitor and use a 4K 60hz HDMI switch for both PC and console. The model I linked to comes with an IR remote.

To use the Xbox on a DP switch requires a costly DP to HDMI converter like this and then purchasing a DP multi port switch on top.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Hi

I have a Lenovo 4K monitor that works very well with my PC via a DPV to DPV lead.

I also have an Xbox One S that is connected to the same monitor via a HDMI lead.

The monitor has two connections, HDMI and DVP.

MY question is, is there a way that I could connect the Xbox One S and the PC to the same DVP input on the monitor

It's worth mentioning what your end goal is as you may be heading down the wrong path entirely.

Are you doing this so you can connect a third device to the HDMI input?

KDFC

Novice Member
It's worth mentioning what your end goal is as you may be heading down the wrong path entirely.

Are you doing this so you can connect a third device to the HDMI input?
No, I have one monitor and an Xbox and a PC.
The aim is to try and use the 4K feature of the monitor with both the Xbox and the PC but the monitor only has one DP port and one HDMI port, without unplugging the DP lead and plugging one of them in and then having to do it all over again when swapping back over.
In an ideal world there would be a lead with a single DP plug on one end to go into the DP port on the monitor and then have two leads on the other end, one with a DP port and the other with a HDMI port.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
No, I have one monitor and an Xbox and a PC.
The aim is to try and use the 4K feature of the monitor with both the Xbox and the PC but the monitor only has one DP port and one HDMI port, without unplugging the DP lead and plugging one of them in and then having to do it all over again when swapping back over.
In an ideal world there would be a lead with a single DP plug on one end to go into the DP port on the monitor and then have two leads on the other end, one with a DP port and the other with a HDMI port.

So is the issue that it's an older monitor and it's HDMI input doesn't have to bandwidth to accept a signal at the screen's maximum resolution and refresh rate?

If that's the case then as NEXT says you'll need a DisplayPort switch. You could look around to see if you could find one that has a built in HDMI to DisplayPort converter for one of the ports but as it sounds like you already own the converter it might work out cheaper and easier just to buy a plain DisplayPort switch.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom