PC - XBox 360 - PS3

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by def, Dec 29, 2006.

?

What should I buy (even if I have to wait)

Poll closed Jan 13, 2007.
  1. Buy an Xbox360 now

68 vote(s)
    84.0%
  2. Buy a PS3 when it comes out

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Buy a PC and use it as a media center & gaming PC

6 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Don't get anything, nothing really suits you at the moment

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  1. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Just a quick question, and no flames please.

I currently have a PS2 (not played it in 6+ months), XBox (not played in 6+ months), and a PSP (play fairly regularly). I'm thinking about the "next generation" of gaming.

I'm not a big gamer, I just play occasionally for fun. Maybe once a week for a couple of hours. I'm looking for excellent graphics, fun gameplay and ease of use (ie: I can just pick up my PSP and play it, but the Xbox seems more hassle plus I take over the living room).

I like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2 (hated MGS:3), Ridge Racer + racing games, Tekken, XMen: Legends, flight sims/action, Exit (PSP), Halo, Spiderman 2 (PS2). I don't like Grand Theft Auto, sports games like PES, Timesplitters 2, Gran Tourismo. I've never played my consoles online, although I used to play Counterstrike on the PC online and that was quite fun. The off-putting thing about online play are the millions of 10 year olds who seem to live for gaming and have become one with the matrix, making any game completely un-fun. I don't much enjoy seeing "l0000lll i r0xx0r joo 0wn3d!!!111oneoneone" for hours on end.

So bearing that in mind, what do I get next? An XBox360 seems like a cheap option, but I'm not so sure about the games. The PS3 seems to have stunning games, but (like all new consoles) not very many of them. It's also relatively expensive, for a hundred quid more or so I could build an exceptional media center PC and set it up for gaming, PC games generally being ahead of the curve. The benefit of a PC is online gaming is free, whereas it seems the PS3 and Xbox require a subscription? That seems a rip-off.

So really I'm a bit stuck. I'm really not looking for fanboys, just some honest suggestions whether I'm better off with a console or a media center PC set up for gaming (it would be a separate pc, not my day-to-day use one).

Cheers!

2. mattg

mattg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    have you thought of the wii?

I went xbox360 for the graphics, but finally managed to get a go on the wii a couple of days back and think it is hard to beat for "pick up and play" type gaming.

I think the xbox offers good value for money and there are enough games out there at the moment that offer the next generation eye candy / gameplay to keep you interested for the 6-12months.

the ps3 will not be hear until march and is likely to take a year for the developers to start releasing the 'must have' games similar to gears of war for example. Also it is suggested that developers are releasing more cross platform games to lower the risk of big budget games.

A pc will be more flexible and you can always buy a 360 controller for it for games like pro evo / driving games. Will cost a fair bit though for similar graphics.

1 year Xbox live account costs around £20 on ebay so it works out just under £1.50 a month. Not too bad imo.

3. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,284
    well you're going to struggle to get unbiased replies asking people in an xbox 360 forum, i think you know what most people are going to say and I'm sure if you went to pc and ps3 forums you'd get different answers.
    Personally I also own a ps2 and have also got a pretty decent pc that I have kept up to date so I can play games. since getting the xbox and especially since a few of my mates got their xboxes too i havent touched the pc or ps2. The games are good but its the live thing that really makes it, being able to talk to people, whether they're your real life mates or just random dudes makes it great fun to play. I used to be a real warcraft nerd on the pc but this is just so much more fun. There are obviously some kids but in my experience it tends to be more adults on live than kids.

I'm sure the ps3 will be great in its own way as well, since its not out for ages though its not really worth considering at the moment but i might personally get one if they look great and just use both consoles. Only if they look really good though.

360 is so cheap that you might as well get one and a couple of games and try it, if you don't like it chuck it on ebay and you won't lose all that much money.

4. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Yep, I realise that, but the 360 forum seemed to be the most active in lieu of a "General Gaming" forum...

I guess I'll probably buy a 360 then and give it a go - as you've said, if I don't like it I can chuck it on ebay.

Although I'm somewhat tempted to wait until the PS3 comes out, then buy both a PS3 and an XBox360 at the same time. That way I can try them side by side, and resell whichever one I don't want.

5. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Why wait, get a 360 now and you might not feel the need to get a PS3. You've already got about 10 great games on a 360 to catch up on (plus or minus a few given taste). Some of those are also out of this world as well.

If you get bored by the time the PS3 ships, sell it.

Slim

6. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I heard that the PS3 is not going to be as powerful as the 360, and that bizarrely its processor is not as well suited to games as the 360. Not sure if this is true or not.

I was fed up with shoddy graphics on the PS2 (they were ok on a small CRT but not on a 32" LCD). I also heard the PS3 is going to be £400 - £500 which put me off.

A really decent PC would probably cost in the region of £1,000, and then you have to keep it updated every 6-12 months because the latest games are always more and more hardware demanding.

I thought the Xbox Live fee to play online was a rip off (I was used to playing online games on the PC for free). However the voice, friend's list and the fact that it's all unified (i.e. you retain the same name, lists, etc regardless of which game you play) made it worth it.

Again I don't know if things have changed, but I heard most games for the PS3 will be free to play online (unless the developers want to charge a subscription), but you'll need different accounts for each game, etc.

7. weaponx_uk2003

weaponx_uk2003

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    i was waiting for a PS3, sacked it off last August and got a 360. its good some graphics i would say are bit the same as ps2 ie dead or alive, but games like Ghost recon GOW etc are amazing. just like PC graphics but with out the expence of upgrading your pc every few months.

plus i owuldnt be suprised if the PS3 didnt come out first quarter of 07 and was more likly third quarter.

but my son was a wii at the monment. just need to find one and then empty his bank to pay for it.

8. Metalhead Pete

Metalhead Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +244
    I too got fed up waiting for the PS3 and after looking on US forums saw the machine in general has been getting a very lukewarm reception.I presume its due to the very weak current games line up and very high hardware & software prices.
    I bought a 360 couple of months ago and I absolutely love it to be honest.Gears Of War,PGR 3 & The Call Of Duty games are great.My friend has bought a Wii and said its a good laugh for when your mates come round but as a next gen games console ????.He bought the Wii Call Of Duty 3 after playing my 360 version and said it sucks.Graphics are not much better than the PS2 version and the controller which worked so well on Wii sports makes games like COD virtually unplayable ?!?.:confused:

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I'll speak up for the PC...I love PC gaming far in excess of my consoles (of which I own the 360, Wii and PS2). Why?

- Choice of controller (I play many FPS and think mouse/keyboard is the best choice for this)
    - Free Online Gaming
    - Free downloads (everything from new levels, new games to savegames).
    - Mod-friendly (I feel the console environment, by it's nature is quite restrictive)
    - Cutting edge graphics (nothing I've seen on a console comes close to gaming at 1920x1200 with full effects on)

...the disadvantage of course is cost. If you can afford it PC gaming is the best all round experience IMHO - if you can't console gaming offers alot of fun for alot less.

10. Jay

Jay
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,081
    Totally agree, playing gtr on 1680x1050 with full effect is stunning, i can't imagine it at the highest my graphics card can support...need a new monitor though. I've spent loads on the 360 and sometimes regret it thinking what i could have done on the pc. Another minus is sometimes it's abit troublesome starting a game as opposed to just put disc in and play on console. ALso as you say the money is a major issue, as for a pc to produce what say the 360 can it would be far more expensive than a 360. But if price was not an issue a pc is far better.

11. druidvideo

druidvideo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Microsoft has definitely listened and produced a very capable and affordable solution for gaming and next gen HD-DVD playback. The thing that really sets the 360 apart from the PS3 for me is Xbox Live and the features that go along with it. Sony's online system has nothing on XBL imo.

12. wormvortex

wormvortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    PC>Xbox360<>PS3

13. def

def

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Interesting, thanks all.

I agree with what people are saying about getting a dedicated PC, although I'm not sure how much of an issue the "constant" upgrades would be for me. As I said, I'm not a big gaming fan so it really wouldn't bother me if I had to turn the detail level down a notch on a couple of games. Totally agree about the joystick - mouse/keyboard - other control options, it feels like the only semi-playable FPS on a console was halo, and that was still quite difficult on a controller compared to a mouse keyboard.

Quite a few people are dismissing the PS3 already, but I can't quite figure out if that's because it's "inferior" in some way or simply because there aren't any games out for it yet. Even if the launch titles aren't that great graphically, I don't personally believe that's a problem with the console - look how far PS2 games have come since launch. The price thing is also a question, I know it's touted at £400+ on UK launch but it's way less than that if you get one from the US or Japan.

So I guess in summary I'm still not sure what to do. I'll have to look into PC gaming some more, I really know nothing about what's available.

One question for the PC gamers - if I set up a media center PC, is it easy enough to integrate gaming with it? In other words can I set up the games to be accessible via the remote etc, rather than having to pull out a keyboard & mouse and use it like a PC to load stuff up (which is one attraction of a console - just put the disc in and start playing).

14. kiernan809

kiernan809

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For not taking over the living room the PC scores another notch. To do this with a console will start to really inflate the price and restrict space.

15. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    In which case it's not really constant upgrading. Aside from my graphics card my PC is long in the tooth now but still handles every single game thrown at it with just about everything on max. Yes the GFX card plays a big part in that but it's CPU limited so it's only performing at 60% which means you would probably get equal results with a much cheaper card.

There is a solution for everything on the PC - it's just a question of having the patience to find it and run it - for example you could use the mouse on a stick application which means you can control your mouse pointer using your gamepad, joystick etc.

A PC will never be as user friendly as a console though - if you just want to pickup and play then the console will win everytime - if you are prepared to spend a little more time and a fair bit more cash then the PC can be very rewarding.

16. Coolit

Coolit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54

I spent quite a lot of money buying what I considered at the time a top of the line gaming PC, 2 x 7900GTX, physx card & 22" widescreen monitor but I spend far more time on the 360 :suicide: I think its because people on live seem more friendly than on the PC and the 360 has some fantastic games which with the achievement system make them great fun to play.

Once you get used to playing games with a joypad and not a KB / mouse its far more enjoyable too:)

17. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    Well I guess it's subjective - as you will see from my tag I've played quite a few 360 games now and I much prefer the mouse/keyboard of the PC. Obviously I could pickup one of these new devices to enable that on the 360 - but their are other factors as well. Each to their own though...

18. gaz2785

gaz2785

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    The thing I always used to hate with the PC, is keeping it updated and you also tend to spend as long updating drivers and sorting out software conflicts as you do actually playing the game. That's the beauty of a console, you know the game you've just bought will work no problems.