1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC & X-box, what settings?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by zAndy1, Jun 20, 2003.

1. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    I was going to order ADSL with Eclipse Internet last night (the Barton on Humber exchange went from needing 130 registrations to reach it's trigger to being ADSL enabled on 20/8/03 overnight!). I wasn't sure about some of the settings it asked for though during the order process. I was planning on using a Netgear DG824M wireless ADSL router/modem and a Linksys WET11 at the X-box. What I'm not sure about is whether I need a static or dynamic IP address (think dynamic will be ok) but also do I need more than 1 IP address to be able to use the X-box and the PC at the same time? Otherwise how on earth does it figure out where the incoming traffic is destined for (i.e. PC or X-box)? I'm a complete novice at this stuff as you can probably tell but any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
    Andy.

2. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You only need one IP address, and that doesn't need to be static.

Static IP addresses are only needed if you run a website from the PC.

The router obtains the IP address from the network and hides the other devices from the Internet. It then issues its own local IP addresses to any devices that you connect to the network. By some clever trickery called NAT (Network Address Translation) and PAT (Port Address Translation) The router hides the internal devices behind a simple firewall and successfully routes the traffic to the correct devices.

Hope that helps,

James

3. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    Ok, change of plan... I've got a PC downstairs (HTPC) and also an X-box. I've also got a PC upstairs. I was planning on getting a Netgear DG824M and connect the PC and X-box downstairs directly to it. I was then going to get a Linksys WET11 wireless bridge and connect the PC upstairs to that (the PC will need a PCI NIC card in it I assume). Alternatively can I just get the DG824M for the PC and X-box downstairs and the MA311 Wireless PCI adaptor for the PC upstairs and that should do the same job for a bit less money. Is that correct? Also I'd like to have the X-box on and using X-box live without having to have any of the PCs on, is that possible with the configuration I've described?
    Thanks for the help btw!

Cheers,
    Andy.

4. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Spot on, and you are right, get the PCI card and it will save you a few quid.

James

5. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,932
    By the way, will a wireless router interfere with an AEI digisender at all? I use one to send the Sky+ output to the portable in the bedroom and it works on 2.4Ghz which I believe the wireless router does as well. Will it cause problems?

Cheers,
    Andy.

6. fisha

fisha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    possibly not - 802.11b works across a couple of sub channels aroundabout the 2.4GHz range. so if the wireless gear thinks its tranmission has collided with another tranmsission they will normally jump to another channel and try that.