• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pc world sales staff

shape

Established Member
Just finished playing gun and call of duty 2, so i thought i would go out and get my self a nice shiny new ethernet modem, as my pc uses a usb version.
I spoke to the kind gent in pc world who sold me a netgear dg632 modem router, so i could plug my xbox 360 straight into it and connect to phone line and off i go, without the need to network wireless to my pc upstairs. after a while messing about with the xbox i decided to read up on that there T'inernet only to blooming discover it's not compatiable. I know i should of known better than goto pc world, but it was only because they were near.
Now i have to take it back and source a compatiable one.
suppose i'm the dope for going there ha ha.
:)

D

Deleted member 63670

shame on you for using DSG, no one in a sane sense of mind would do such a thing. still it does yet again highlight the very very bad things that go on in this shop, they will sell you anything to increase their own figures for that day regardless of wether it will actually do the job or not.

i had the misfortune of working in a Dixons for a couple of months when i was very young back in the early 90's and the management and even area management just told staff to sell what you can and get them out the door and the next person in, i do think that the DSG has alot to answer for.

daKlone

Established Member
Yep, it's hard to say if their staff are just well-meaning idiots or intent on ripping you off.

I don't tend to go shopping without knowing what I'm going to buy, but on the odd occaision I've got stuck and needed something straight away, I have.

I remember one "discussion" with not one but three members of PC World staff about DVD-Rs.

They were all adamant that "All DVD-Rs are the same - it doesn't matter which ones you buy", which anyone who has ever used a DVD writer will tell you is just not true.

I gave up in the end and just walked out. :rolleyes:

gatty-jr-jr

Established Member
A business customer of mine went into pc world yesterday and asked for 'Dat Tape' and they thought it was a printer cartridge.

D

Deleted member 63670

i just feel sorry for the suckers that go to these places unaware of the underhand tactics used by these monkeys and just get sold something far overpriced that they don't need and probably won't even do the job they want to do anyway!!!

all done to boost a guys sales figures to boost his minimum wage

DarkEntity

Prominent Member
shape said:
Just finished playing gun and call of duty 2, so i thought i would go out and get my self a nice shiny new ethernet modem, as my pc uses a usb version.
I spoke to the tool in pc world who sold me a netgear dg632 modem router, so i could plug my xbox 360 straight into it and connect to phone line and off i go, without the need to network wireless to my pc upstairs. after a while messing about with the xbox i decided to read up on that there T'inernet only to blooming discover it's not compatiable. I know i should of known better than goto pc world, but it was only because they were near.
Now i have to take it back and source a compatiable one.
suppose i'm the dope for going there ha ha.
:)

What do you mean its not compatible?

did you buy the wrong type ie a cat5 one rather than USB or did you just read the recommended list and see yours wasnt on it?

My router isnt on the list either and it works flawlessly :)

Miander

Established Member
its all about letting the correct ports on ya nat!

Portforwarding!

3074 TCP+UDP point it to your 360
88 UDP point it to your 360

no connection errors... flawless connection!

slackbladder

Established Member
Odd, I have a DG632 and it works okay (I got it months ago for my PC and PS2). I've connected to people from all over the world, Brazil, Japan, Germany etc on PGR3. Perhaps there's a slight limitation in who I connect to but it hasn't been a problem yet.

shape

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies peeps.
i got my self a wireless dg834g, i've managed to get my pc hooked upto net now with it, just messing with xbox now.
it came with a wireless usb 2.0 adapter, but when i plug that into the back of the xbox nothing happens at all, light does not even come on. i know this is probably basic, but i have been trying to read up and try all sorts since 6.
any pointers gratefully recieved.
thanks in advance :)

broona

shape said:
Thanks for all the replies peeps.
i got my self a wireless dg834g, i've managed to get my pc hooked upto net now with it, just messing with xbox now.
it came with a wireless usb 2.0 adapter, but when i plug that into the back of the xbox nothing happens at all, light does not even come on. i know this is probably basic, but i have been trying to read up and try all sorts since 6.

Only the official MS wireless adapter works with the 360, no amount of trying's gonna get the Netgear 1 to work! ;)

Pooon

Distinguished Member
shape said:

As Broona says, the usb wireless dongle will not work with the xbox/xbox360. You will need the M$ wireless adaptor to do this, or you could just run a wire from the xbox to the router.

So unless the member of staff in Pc World told you this was possible its not really their fault is it

Sting King

Established Member
You can connect the modem router to the 360 with an ethernet cable, usb wont work. Unless the guy told you usb would work, then hes right.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom