PC World projecors (S42, TW20, IN26, X2) ?

tiredeyes

Standard Member
Greetings all. My first post so a bit of a newb, but I need a bit of advice on projector choice.
I'm after a low-end projector solely for DVD viewing, budget £500. The main problem is I'm stuck with offerings from Dixons/PCWorld because some of the cost is being met by gift vouchers.

So my choices are limited to be the Epson EMP-TW20 or S42 (LCD), or the Infocus IN26 or X2 (DLP).

I intend to have the pj at the back of the room (high shelf or ceiling mounted) giving a 12ft throw. Seating would be 9-10ft from the screen. The screen will be a blackout blind covering a 7ft wide bay window. I have RGB/Component or S-Video feeds available, but no need to cater for HD sources.

I can't find any info on the S42, so don't know if it's a DSG specific model?
Similarly, I can find no mention of the IN26 here, though I have found a reasonable review from HCC.

I'm currently leaning towards the TW20, mainly because of it being optimized for DVD viewing as opposed to Powerpoint (the "cinema filter" seems to get good reviews). I'm also worried that rainbow would be a problem on the cheap DLPs – but also that pixels might be visible on an LCD. Bulb life/cost is also a factor. Also, how badly do LCD colours fade after time?

I know there are probably better machines out there (e.g. I like the look of the Benq W100), and some of the above models are quite old, but I'm tied to sourcing from DSG. So would appreciate any comments – especially from anyone who has experience of any of the above machines?

The_Wierd

I've got a TW20. In fact I actually got it from PCWorld as they had the best price at the time, and a free screen offer.

I think it's very good, I can't really fault it to be honest. I did actually want an LCD because I'm a bit sensitive to rainbows and flickery-ness in general, so I suppose my options were a bit limited. I also wanted a projector with a short throw as my living room is pretty small, and most budget DLP's seem to be less flexible in terms of placement. As it is intended as a home cinema projector, rather than a data projector it is also very quiet, mine is placed next to my seat at head level and it's still unobtrusive.

If I was being picky I must admit that some people might find the 'screen door' effect annoying, but it bothers me less than rainbows, and if you don't blow it up too large, it still looks great.

I borrowed a mid-range Toshiba DLP data projector from our office to play around with before I ordered it, and it has a much better picture than that with DVDs.

cyberheater

Although I'm a big fan of DLP projectors. Considering your limited choice. I'd go for the TW20.

But. If you could stump up the extra 100 quid you could go for the Optoma DV10 which is a cracking project/dvd combo and would blow the rest of those away.

tiredeyes

Standard Member
I had considered the DV10 but discounted it because it cannot be mounted high up out of harm's way, and it has dvd and audio built in that are superfluous for me. That's one reason why I was looking at the Benq - as far as I can see it has the same res and 4x7 colourwheel in a more conventional format without the unwanted extras. Shame DSG don't carry it!

tiredeyes

Standard Member
Got the TW20, and a 2m blackout blind from Ikea and am bowled over with the result! SDE isn't visible at all from our seating positions and the colouring on the Epson is spot on. The "Theatre" filters really do what they claim. Another advantage is that replacements bulbs are only £120 as opposed to the £250 of other models - which should keep the cost of ownership down.

Thanks to all who responded. Now all I have to do is find time to watch all my DVDs again!

The_Wierd

Great stuff, happy you're pleased with it! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom