• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

pc wont start

shug119

Standard Member
Hi, my sons pc wont start, if you press the start button nothing happens, but when you take your finger off, the little green lights flash once only , it wont flash again unless you switch off at the socket, then press start again and it flashes again.

Cheers Shug

alnwrd

Established Member
seems like a faulty on off switch. I have a Mesh computer , and I have to carefully press the on off switch or it won't start. Is it still under guarantee?

Last edited:

Paul_HDLover

Prominent Member
Could i hazard a guess. I had a dell dimenion 5000 P4 and the same thing happened. It does sound like a faulty switch.

What to do is, first of all disconnect all power inputs to the PC, open up the computer, remove the pin from the front panel switch to the motherboard. Then follow these steps:

- Remove the battery. Usually labeled CMOS (Round silver flat battery about size of 10p) You might need to prop it out with a screwdriver.
- Power the PC back up. It will start direct from turning it on at the mains.

Its not ideal, but it will get the PC started.

You will lose any USB or firewire connectivity from the front panel, but if you can live with that its OK.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom