PC won't start up win Win7

Parklife

Been running Win 7 on my PC for about 1 month now. Suddenly it decides to shut off and now will not start again. It starts to power up and the fans start and then it shuts off after about 10 secs and keeps doing this. Can't get anywhere to do anything about it. HELP!!

Been running it on my laptop for a few months now and working perfectly there!

Matt306

Check that your heatsink & fan are still mounted correctly and not clogged with fluff. If you've also got a GFX card that requires a 6 pin molex make sure that's not worked itself loose.

Parklife

Thanks, all that is OK. No fluff and do not have a GFX card.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
Hi

Does look like a heat-related fault though - shuts down after a few seconds.

Any strange 'graunching' noises when powering up? Does the hard drive light flash before shut down?

Alan

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Is Win7 the only OS you can boot to? Or do you have XP alongside it?

Do you actually get to the "Starting Windows" screen or does it reboot before then?

Do you see your Bios "post" screen as your PC boots up?

Parklife

Hi

Does look like a heat-related fault though - shuts down after a few seconds.

Any strange 'graunching' noises when powering up? Does the hard drive light flash before shut down?

Alan

No strange noises. The hard drive does flash breifly before shutting down.

Is Win7 the only OS you can boot to? Or do you have XP alongside it?

Do you actually get to the "Starting Windows" screen or does it reboot before then?

Do you see your Bios "post" screen as your PC boots up?

I have Vista alongside but do not get far enough to chose it. I don't even see the Bios screen, I get no screen at all before it shuts down.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
That does not look too healthy.

On the motherboard there is a red (or green) LED which lights up if the 5 volt rail is OK. If it is not lit then the 5 volts has gone.

Does the LED light up?

Alan

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
Also the Bios may have been corrupted, and depending on your motherboard, may be able to recover itself.

If it was me, I'd unplug the power supply to the PC altogether, open it up and either (a) find and use the jumper switch which will reset the Bios, or (b) take out the System battery and leave for minutes before putting back in and rebooting.

namuk

Distinguished Member
As above .. also Reseat the mem cards etc .. Also is there any system Error Beeps?

Parklife

That does not look too healthy.

On the motherboard there is a red (or green) LED which lights up if the 5 volt rail is OK. If it is not lit then the 5 volts has gone.

Does the LED light up?

Alan

Yes green LED is on.

Also the Bios may have been corrupted, and depending on your motherboard, may be able to recover itself.

If it was me, I'd unplug the power supply to the PC altogether, open it up and either (a) find and use the jumper switch which will reset the Bios, or (b) take out the System battery and leave for minutes before putting back in and rebooting.

System battery removed and replaced after 5 mins. On start up it took longer before it restarted, probably about 5 seconds longer. Still nothing on the screen.

As above .. also Reseat the mem cards etc .. Also is there any system Error Beeps?

Did memory cards and no difference. No error beeps at all.

Thanks for the advice so far.

16to9

Your display's not connected by HDMI is it? There's a known boot issue if it is. Mind you it only affects first boot after install, so I guess that's not your problem. :confused:

Parklife

Your display's not connected by HDMI is it? There's a known boot issue if it is. Mind you it only affects first boot after install, so I guess that's not your problem. :confused:

Connected via DVI. Just can't get anywhere, no picture on the screen.

I am stumped and my PC knowledge does not go too far! Guess I am going to have to find a shop to take a look at it!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom