PC wont detect GTX650

b1nx2003

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I've just bought a 2nd had desktop which seems like a decent deal and spec apart from the fact that the video card simply wont detect. Its a relatively new pc/mobo (gigabyte) i5 with an adequate 500w psu and the gpu fans spin up and the card appears to be getting power, but no display.

I have reseated the card, updated the firmware of the bios, disabled onboard display (which works fine btw) and tried the auto detect and manual install of the drivers from the nvidia site but still lthe card wont show any display or detect within windows 7.

What is very strange is that when i connect the 6 pin power plug, the card behaves very odd and the fans dont spin up and the pc doesnt boot properly. I have tried a spare lower card in instead and that works/detects with no trouble at all.

Any ideas appreciated.....

How much power does the PSU deliver on the +12v line(s)? If it's an adequate 500W unit then it should deliver at least 34A/408W combined at 12V. A card only spinning the fans up without the power connector plugged can be normal, and the fact that it's shutting down entirely when the power connector is plugged in does suggest it might be a power issue.

What's the history of the graphics card? Have you had it working in another machine previously?

Hi thanks for the reply, psu is a corsair 500w cx bronze unit and looks to be quite new. Is there a utility I can download to get these figures?

I know zero about the history of the card as it was part of a 2nd hand build that I bought recently (risky I know) my plan was to swap it with a better spec card anyway. It just seems very strange that it gives absolutely zero output and win7 refuses to detect it.

Hi thanks for the reply, psu is a corsair 500w cx bronze unit and looks to be quite new. Is there a utility I can download to get these figures?

They're printed on the side of the PSU, but Corsair are reasonable quality so that shouldn't be the issue.

I know zero about the history of the card as it was part of a 2nd hand build that I bought recently (risky I know) my plan was to swap it with a better spec card anyway. It just seems very strange that it gives absolutely zero output and win7 refuses to detect it.

Was it sold as being in working condition? I'm guessing it's not insufficient power with a CX500 and obviously the slot works as another card is fine.

hi, I raised it with EVGA returns team and they have provided an RMA to return the item.

Only downside being the cost of posting it to Germany, hopefully it be worth it after though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom