• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC Won't Boot - What 'Live' OS Can i use to retrieve files?

tsomo2000

Standard Member
Hi All

My PC is struggling to boot up, when i turn on the PC it advises me that there was a problem in shutting down then gives the 'boot up in safe mode or standard windows start up' message.

Which ever selection i choose, the Windows XP loading screen shows for a few seconds and then the PC reboots. If i choose for the PC to boot in safe mode it loads approx half of the drivers then reboots again.

This has happened to me in the past (about 2yrs ago on another machine), and i believe my problem is with the winlogon.exe file, the easiest way to sort this would be to complete a 'repair' directly from the XP disc, problem is i dont have an XP disc.

When this happened previously a friend of mine ran a simple operating system that booted directly from the CD drive, it allowed me to access the hard drive then copy all my necessary files (pictures, mp3's etc) to an external hard drive before reinstalling the OS from scratch. I have no idea what this software was called, can anyone point me in the right direction of something similar?

Thanks

Alex

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Paragon hard Disk manager regularly appears on magazine cover disks. You can create a linux based utility to recover files to memory sticks etc.

MarkE19

Ultimate Boot CD uses a cut down version of XP (based on BartPE) that boots from the CD. This should allow you to backup your files (which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway :lesson: ) and maybe even allow you to repair the OS rather than do a clean install (although a clean install is probably a better option).
Another option is Hiren's Boot CD.

Mark.

Kaos_vauxhall

Established Member
ICCZ said what i was thinking Linux Distro and Ubuntu is one of the easiest out there

a couple of simple Sudo commands and you could get all your data back definitely worth a look into :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom