Question PC won't bitstream EAC3/Dolby Digital Plus

FilmsRUs

Novice Member
I have my PC set up to bitstream audio via HDMI from an Nvidia GT1030 video card to my Yamaha amp and all surround sound formats work well, including True HD, Atmos etc and the AV displays the appropriate incoming signal.

The only problem arises when trying to play files with EAC3 / DD+ audio. The amp just reports 'decoder off' as though nothing is coming through.

First I thought that the amp couldn't decode the signal, but whenever I play content from Apple TV, EAC3/DD+ streamed Atmos content plays fine and shows on the amp as such.

Occasionally, stopping and starting PC playback gets the audio playing, but it's very hit and miss. I've tried replacing the HDMI cables with new 'certified' ones, without any improvement.

If I show the on screen info display from my amp, then play a PC file, the display briefly shows 'Atmos' then it goes blank, No audio plays at all.

I'm at a loss at what else to try. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

next010

Distinguished Member
Download MPC-HC

Select File->options->internal filters->audio decoder

In here tick the boxes for AC3, EAC3 and TrueHD, DTS etc and fall back to PCM if bitstreaming not supported.

Now hit okay and under internal filters->audio renderer->device manually select the Nvidia HDMI output.

Now try playing something with DD+, see if it correctly outputs it or sends PCM 5.1 instead.

FilmsRUs

Novice Member
Download MPC-HC

Select File->options->internal filters->audio decoder

In here tick the boxes for AC3, EAC3 and TrueHD, DTS etc and fall back to PCM if bitstreaming not supported.

Now hit okay and under internal filters->audio renderer->device manually select the Nvidia HDMI output.

Now try playing something with DD+, see if it correctly outputs it or sends PCM 5.1 instead.

Thanks for your reply.

MPC isn't my preferred software - but I did try as suggested, as a way to test playback. It worked intermittently, as other players do.

The pattern seems to be that if you're lucky enough to get DD+ at playback start you can continue to hear the audio as long as you don't pause or stop playback - after which you'll lose the audio when playback is resumed.

I don't have enough test files to check whether it's only atmos encoded DD+ files that myPC struggles with...

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I have my PC set up to bitstream audio via HDMI from an Nvidia GT1030 video card to my Yamaha amp and all surround sound formats work well, including True HD, Atmos etc and the AV displays the appropriate incoming signal.

The only problem arises when trying to play files with EAC3 / DD+ audio. The amp just reports 'decoder off' as though nothing is coming through.

First I thought that the amp couldn't decode the signal, but whenever I play content from Apple TV, EAC3/DD+ streamed Atmos content plays fine and shows on the amp as such.

Occasionally, stopping and starting PC playback gets the audio playing, but it's very hit and miss. I've tried replacing the HDMI cables with new 'certified' ones, without any improvement.

If I show the on screen info display from my amp, then play a PC file, the display briefly shows 'Atmos' then it goes blank, No audio plays at all.

I'm at a loss at what else to try. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
The cable makes no difference here because EAC3 uses less bandwidth than TrueHD. MPC-HC is well out of date now but it still works very well for basic stuff like this. The content from Apple TV will almost always work properly. On the other hand I've seen DD+ rips work differently depending on how they were encoded. The Kodi media centre can play most of them but I've found one or two that just won't work. So it might be the files you are playing that is the issue.

Last edited:

FilmsRUs

Novice Member
The cable makes no difference here because EAC3 uses less bandwidth than TrueHD. MPC-HC is well out of date now but it still works very well for basic stuff like this. The content from Apple TV will almost always work properly. On the other hand I've seen DD+ rips work differently depending on how they were encoded. The Kodi media centre can play most of them but I've found one or two that just won't work. So it might be the files you are playing that is the issue.

Thanks for your input. I only changed cables because I was running out of other things to try. Without other hardware to test my files on, I can't verify if they are to blame - however I have enough of them exhibiting exactly the same pattern that I don't think they are 'rogue' in any way...

What gets me is that they work only some of the time. If certain files never worked, I could accept that the file was poorly encoded or incompatible. But the intermittent nature is what frustrates so much. I think my only other option now is to look into re-encoding/transcoding some of these files and see if that improves the decoding stability.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Thanks for your input. I only changed cables because I was running out of other things to try. Without other hardware to test my files on, I can't verify if they are to blame - however I have enough of them exhibiting exactly the same pattern that I don't think they are 'rogue' in any way...

What gets me is that they work only some of the time. If certain files never worked, I could accept that the file was poorly encoded or incompatible. But the intermittent nature is what frustrates so much. I think my only other option now is to look into re-encoding/transcoding some of these files and see if that improves the decoding stability.
I just tried a couple of DD+ files on my PC and they just work even without my receiver my TV automatically recognises them as DD+ . If properly encoded ATV DD+ files work with no issues then that does suggest the your receiver is struggling with the other encoded files. As I said, I've also had issues with DD+ encoded files in the past.

FilmsRUs

Novice Member
Well, after some months of frustration I managed to figure out a workaround. I tried tweaking various settings and found that if I disabled adaptive DRC, all my DD+ atmos files work fine, even when paused/resumed and scrubbed along the progress bar...

I've no idea why it works (I previously thought atmos playback ignored those settings anyway) but I am glad I got to the bottom of it.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Well, after some months of frustration I managed to figure out a workaround. I tried tweaking various settings and found that if I disabled adaptive DRC, all my DD+ atmos files work fine, even when paused/resumed and scrubbed along the progress bar...

I've no idea why it works (I previously thought atmos playback ignored those settings anyway) but I am glad I got to the bottom of it.
That does kind of make sense. DRC is a Dolby feature so I can imagine that it only works with properly encoded films like those on iTunes.

John7

For anyone interested, MPC-BE is an up to date open-source replacement for MPC-HC and will play pretty much anything you throw at it.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
For anyone interested, MPC-BE is an up to date open-source replacement for MPC-HC and will play pretty much anything you throw at it.
It's what I use all the time :) It just wasn't relevant to the issues the OP was having.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Do you mean MPC-BE (to whom i don’t find any github page) or the maintained MPC-HC by clsid2? Releases · clsid2/mpc-hc
BE. I've seen the Github page. It does exist although it might be in Russian. There's also a Sourceforge page. It is official software and fully supported by the developers.

Last edited:

SIUse

Novice Member
BE. I've seen the Github page. It does exist although it might be in Russian. There's also a Sourceforge page. It is official software and fully supported by the developers.
it’s the russian one? oh boy :D no wonder i skipped through it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom