1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc Vs Xbox

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by SLIM, Jan 24, 2005.

1. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hello guy;s is it me are is it hard to get in to the game's on xbox live ?.
    I hade a xbox and 9 online game's for XMAS and i was not able to get in to the game's like on the pc. I think the best bit about XBOX live is being able to chat in the game's and that's about it.
    What do you guy's think that play online game's on the pc as wall as the xbox?

2. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I'm not sure what you mean by "get into" however, if you mean what I think you mean then I'll try to answer your query (confused yet ?)

I find Xbox live games can be a little intimidating, well, not the games per se, actually playing them on live, prior to playing a game on live for the first time, I found it a little nerve racking, i.e you're not sure how everyone's going to play, whether you'll be good enough, will everyone be in some kind of "Kill the Noob" clan etc, but the way to get around things like this, I think, is to persevere, I've never really had a problem with anyone on Live, most of the chaps and chapesses I've met are great, friendly, down to earth, tolerant etc etc, the only real problems I've had have been with the yanks, I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked "Isn't it about time you had a cup of Tea?" whilst this was funny the first time, now, it irritates the crap out of me, as it probably does others.

As for the difference between PC games and XBOX games, I think there are certain games that work well on XBOX that don't on PC. Strategy games and a lot of FPS's can be fab on the PC, whereas driving games, RPG's and Platformers just suck (or at least I think so), on anything other than a console. I guess it's down to personal preferance. :)

3. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You can chat on the PC too

4. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I know you can chat on the pc in game's.
    I found i didnt like the xbox live @ all i was not ingrossed in the game's and found it realy easy to whoop most pep's on there.

5. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    I like the xbox idea of playing online with it hooked up to your television and the xbox being cheaper than a pc

But what about when you try to aim ie half life 2 how do you aim his gun?

On the pc its easy as you have the mouse, but on the xbox it seems very frustrating trying to aim as you have to use a joystick?

6. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Only very slightly off topic,I have wondered how many of the people who play on xbox live have actually tried online gaming with a half decent pc.

Im always a bit bewildered by the amount of people raving about the new "shooter" on xboxlive,wether it's RTCW,UT,Rainbow 6,Halo,Halo 2,etc,etc, they are always amazing and usually the best 1 yet but all these games have already been done bigger and better on pc :confused:,obviously I dont mean the actual game has been released on the pc before but the actual concept,game style,etc. has been done with better graphics,bigger maps,more players and so on.

I think racing/sports games are perfect for xboxlive, PGR2 and PES4 being prime examples,but as far as genre's like FPS's the pc will be the daddy for a long time to come(all IMHO of course ;) )

7. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    i found that the xbox GFX wear ok but not as good as people keep saying most of the pc's i have hade blow the xbox a way when it come's to GFX

8. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    You can't judge a game simply on GFX alone, some games are graphically superb, but absolutely toss when you try and play them, on any format !

9. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I see that SLIM's original question has now been modified into a PC fanboy rant. There is no way you can reasonably compare PC graphics to Xbox.
    I must admit that I have not really played games on a PC but to me a game should be played sitting on the sofa in front of a large widescreen display with sound pumping out of the surround system. Sitting hunched over a keyboard inches away from a small albeit high quality display is not the same. A controller may not be as accurate but it does have feedback.
    Of course the next gen consoles are probably going to change everything. They are going to pack way more processing power than a PC and offer full support for hi-def displays.

10. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    :rolleyes:

I mereley stated that certain games have been done far better on pcs and was curious if gamers who like xboxlive had tried pc gaming as IMHO they would probably love those games even more.No ranting involved :nono: I enjoy playing some games on the pc and some on the xbox(I hope this allowed :blush: )

errrr,and just for the record,when I feel like it I turn on my pj ,and sit on the sofa with my wireless keyboard,not exactly "hunched"over my 10 ft screen :laugh:

edit:eek:h,and the fact that you say you have never played games on a pc kinda answers my question,thanks :smashin:

11. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I've played online PC games since Counterstrike was first released about 6 years or so ago and agree that the PC is a great platform for online games. I have recently dabbled with X-Box live though and think that it's great! Games like PES4, Halo2, Topspin and PGR2 are all great fun on X-Box live.

I think the benefit of X-Box live over PC-Online is that it's a great out of the box & very easy to use solution. You just plug and play with the X-Box where as the PC online experience takes a little bit more work to get sorted. You often need to generally download extra programs & make sure your mic etc works properly to get voice working. Troubles with firewalls often occur meaning that you need to unlock various ports to get the online experience working.

Generally both have a lot to offer but X-Box live has started to bring online gaming to the masses where as it was a much more niche thing when you could only game online with a PC. At the end of the day though it's virtually always more fun to play games with other people, than against a computer so online gaming is a great thing no matter which platform it's on IMO. :thumbsup:

Only when consoles are first released can they match PC's for power i'm afraid. This has always been the case with each generation release. PC's develop at an alarming rate and the next generation of consoles will be easily surpassed by mid to high end PC's within their first year of release.

12. Malone

Malone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    :thumbsup: Bang on IMO

Matt

13. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yer i can see wear you are coming from with that.
    But i think that if you are only used to consoles. NOT YOU just ( jo public ) Then it will be the best thing as you side befor. But if you wear to stick a nice PC in there face i think the pc would make you see what you are missing.
    Yes the new consoles have good GFX'S but still dont come close to a nice gameing pc for GFX. The reson i say GAMEING pc is that i know not all pc's have hi end GFX card.s .But i can say that for bang for buck a consoles win's if you just wont to play games.

I hade a nice gameing rig back in the day but cost me all most 1500 notes lol

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Yes there's no doubt that a high end PC can deliver better graphics than a console. About 6 years ago I splashed out about £2k on a gaming rig which was about the best thing you could buy back then. I have since kept it upgraded (so much so that I think the only original parts are a DVD drive & a floppy drive) spending about £500 every two years or so on it. I must say though that it's been console games that I have played the most over the past 3-4 years. I put this down mainly to the quality of the software released on consoles & the fact that i've not really had the time that PC games often demand to play them. I also find myself looking forward more to the release of the Xbox 2 & PS3 that the new developments that are happening in the PC world.

I do agree though that the majority of Jo Public has not really had a good exposure to what the PC can offer (and if you are into strategy, MMORPG or simulation games there is no better platform IMO) where as most will have played on a PS2 or Xbox. They will therefore think that an X-Box is about as good as you can get graphically.

Due to the cost of PC gaming, the image of PC gaming and the types of games that the PC tends to excel at I see it remaining a more niche platform where as consoles will continue to be the choice of the masses.

15. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ive been playing online since Doom & Duke Nukem 3D so obviously I love it :)

anyone remember wireplay? used to love that

16. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although PCs quickly overhauled the current generation of consoles I doubt if it will be the same as the next. The PS3 in particular with the expected use of multiple Cell processors is likely to wipe the floor with any high end PC. And PCs cannot simply adopt the technology due to existing software base. Maybe you will see Cell processors added on a separate card but maybe not. I guess we'll just have to wait until the end of the year when Xbox 2 is likely to be out.

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I used to play these games over a LAN but didn't really dabble with internet gaming back in these days. I do remember wireplay though as it was one of the first things I tried out. It was pretty good although I remember having to pay an additonal £10 subscription to use it at the time. Personally it was Counterstrike and Everquest that really introduced me to online gaming and what it was capable of.

18. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I wouldn't believe all the hype surrounding future console specs (especially those of the PS3). The PS2 was "likely" to wipe the floor with everything before it's release but in relality it turned out to be only slightly more powerful than the Dreamcast that was released around a year before it! At the end of the day a huge factor in console production is cost and if they are too expensive they will not sell. Look at the X-Box. It was too expensive on release and even though it was a superb console noone bought it. M$ have therefore had to sell them at a huge loss ever since to create the (costly) user base that they now have. I agree that it takes time for the PC technology to filter through to it's games (as developers have to cater for lower end systems as well) but you will find that after a year or two (still early in a consoles life which is often a good 5 years) PC's will be churning out more graphically impressive stuff than the PS3 or XBox2.

19. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I read some wear that MS lose $125 dollers per xbox sold are something stuped like that

20. Jwarl

Jwarl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As latecomers I think M$ had no choice to take the loss on each console but it certainly makes sense to build the user base. However 6.5m copies of Halo 2 * £40 is a lot of revenue to help offset the hardware loss.
    I would not be surprised if the new machines actually sell for a more realistic price. The total gaming population increases each year and those who started playing games 20 years ago now have higher disposable income. The next gen consoles are really going to go hand in hand with hi def display, surround systems etc so £400 on a new console is less of an issue.
    I think full detail of the cell processor are released in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see what it can do.

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Yes but anyone who's been around the gaming scene for some time knows to take initial specs & performance boasts with a pinch of salt. The PS2 illustrated this superbly with it's claim of 66 million polygons per second performance and all the amazing things that the Emotion engine could do! Infact the PS2 manages around 6 million polygons per sec in the real world which is not that much more than the 3-5 million that they manages to squeeze out of the Dreamcast! At the time the PS2 was supposed to level the DC and be over 10 times the power of it. :rotfl:

You'll only actually know what the machine is capable of once it is released and it generally takes a good year or so before developers start getting the most out of the unit anyway. Regarding price I still think you'll see the machines come out at around the £299 mark as they have generally done in the past as the biggest market (by a country mile), the casual gamer, will not shell out £400-£500 on a games machine. What you have to bear in mind is that on here we do not represent the mass market and to people on here AV and Video games are a big hobby. The averge Jo Bloggs will not shell out £1000 + for a high def display and Hi Def itself will not even become mainstream IMO for another 3-5 years. It's only now that the general public are really starting to go for Digital TV and widescreen telle's and digital TV had been around for a good 7 years or so! By the time that Hi Def is mainstream (in about 3-5 years time) you'll be able to pick up Hi Def displays for the price of a normal TV now.

What you have to understand is that there has always been newer & better technology coming out, whether were talking Colour TV, Video Recorders, Satelite TV, Digital TV, DVD, High Definition TV and it always starts out expensive and becomes cheap once the mass market latches on. It's all about economies of scale, look at DVD players which were £400 + only 2-3 years ago and now i'm sure you'd find them in a corn flakes box if they would fit.

When they made the PS2, GC and X-Box they made them as good as the technology and economics would allow at the time. They will do the same with the next generation of consoles but due to the fact that a Consoles technology stands still after it's release and PC technology constantly developes it means that it's only a matter of time before PC's excel over what ever console technology exists.

22. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Spot on there mate,the cr@p they were spouting about the PS2 before its release was shocking :rotfl:

TBH,I will be very surprised,errr,no make that I will be f :censored: amazed if anyone releases a console which is more powerful than the top end pcs on the day of its release :nono: Its just not going to happen,IIRC the XBOX only has something like a gf3 gfx card in it but can produce reasonably good graphics because the developers are designing their games for a specific spec and obviously the xbox dedicates all its power to gaming.

I dont have the specs of the PS3 or XBOX2 but I will put money on it that more advanced hardware is already available in pcs :smoke: (I will probably still buy an XBOX2 when they are released though ;) )

23. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I hear rumours that the revolution & xbox next will be using dual 1.2ghz IBM PowerPC chips, but at the end of the day I don't think we need a new generation yet, jut look at Resident Evil 4 & Half-Life 2, pretty damn good if you ask me, and besides, graphics are becoming less of an issue for me these days as some of the most enjoyable games ive played this generation have been 2d anyway

24. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    Yes I agree Crispy, I think this next generation is coming a year or so too soon (technology wise) - especially for the X-Box & Game cube. The PS2 is showing it's age now though and I think it's about time for the PS3.

Even though my views seem to be very pro PC, I am actually more a console gamer these days and own all 4 current gen (if you count the DC) consoles and a few retro ones. I actually prefer console gaming personally and graphics (whilst I apprciate and enjoy great graphics) are not the main factor for me. Sometimes with PC games I get the feeling that they have gone mad on trying to make the game as technologically superb as possible that the gameplay suffers somewhat. Console games seem to be more focused on having fun and they tend to have games aimed more at the "same console multiplayer" gamer where as PC's tend (although not exclusively) to have stacks of more solitary games - RTS, RPG, Simulation or MMO games. I never use my PC to play same room multiplayer games - even though some games obviously have the capability.

As said earlier though I do like certain games on every platform and I guess I will always maintain a PC that can play the latest games (although my currend spec is becoming a little tired now).

25. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Why are these threads always Xbox Vs Pc or Pc is better than Xbox? Why isnt the thread PS2 Vs Pc or My PS2 Rules? Is it because the PS2 fanboys now know that they have backed the wrong console?

And Gthom, gove your fingers a rest m8 :)

26. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    :D aye I think i've got a little carried away with this one! :) . To answer your question, I think the thread should be more about Consoles V PC's - at least that would me more interesting than just comparing the X-Box to the PC and hopefully it then avoids more of the fanboy comments. I guess looking at the differences between console & PC gaming is vaild though as even though some games cross the platforms you tend to get a different sort of gamer who prefers PC games to one who prefers Console Games.

Anyway i'm off again so i'll shut it and get on with some work :thumbsup:

27. Synchronicity

Synchronicity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    It does seem that,although some gamers do play both console and pc games,the people that are currently loving the xboxlive experience are predominantly console gamers.

IMHO,if these folks had been dabbling with online pc gaming they would not be anywhere near as blown away by the current big sellers as they would have seen it all before :cool:

DISCLAIMER:
    ---------------
    I am not in anyway saying that pc gamers are superior to console gamers or vice versa,so all you fragile types please do not take offense.

28. SLIM

SLIM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The resone i put PC vs Xbox is ( 1 ) i sold my PS2 to get a EGGbox :laugh: Becouse of all the hype around it IE plug & play online gameing that's what i got it for as i was not able to buy a nice gfx card for the same money @ the time. So after 5 day's of playing i was bord of it. I was not able to find my salf injoying the game's like on the pc Dont know why but it just was not for me so i sold it. To get a new GFX card as the price have come down a bit.
    I cant say that i miss it as i dont. But i do think that Xbox live is a winner but for me it's just not the same. maybe when the new Xbox come's out ill give it a try as the new one i read is going to be like a pc.

29. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    I was almost agreeing with what you had to say in your various posts, but then you go and spoil it with a :censored: statement like the one above. 'Like a PC', how exactly, it will still have a control pad to play the games because its a CONSOLE, it will still have console-style games, which it seems you 'can't get into', so i'm confused as to how the next generation xbox(or PS) will be like a PC, is it coming in a dog-ugly cream tower or something? come with a screen bolted to it? or, why you would buy one.[​IMG]

30. betamac

betamac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Many PC owners have been doing this for years

Thats why HCPC's are getting so popular, having the power of the PC with the KB and Mouse and hooking it upto a High End Plasma display and Home Cinema Receiver

Its awesome so were not all Sitting hunched over a keyboard inches away like you seem to think we all are.

Add A Wireless KB and Mouse (I use the Microsoft Bluetooth Desktop) and i am set

I Love my HCPC but i also like console gaming i have a gamecube as well (cant wait for resident 4 on order from DVDSoon)