1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC Vs Dedicated DVD Player

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by @if ®afiq, Oct 13, 2004.

1. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    How good is a PC when compared to a dedicated DVD player. Just wondering if I was to spend £150 on a DVD player - would the results be better than viewing DVD's off my current PC

(...I have a samsung dvd drive, 9800 Pro for the video out and SoundStorm for the sound...)

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    What display and connections are you using?

I have just changed my pio 757 (cost £700 last year) via component for a hcpc (cost £360 last month) via dvi and found it gives quite a bit better pq on my pj.

At this moment i would not go back to a stand alone dvd player, not just because of the picture quality but also due to the flexibility of the hcpc.

3. @if ®afiq

@if ®afiq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    At the moment I'm just using a CRT Monitor (Albeit a 930SB) but was thinking when I upgrade - would I be better of with a standalone player...the answer generally seems to be no..

...could your increase in quality have been due to the going from component to dvi?

4. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +929
    Before i had the hcpc i did also try a samsung 935 which is also dvi and upscales to hidef, it was not a patch on the pc imo. I just couldnt get on with this so sold it after a month or so. I imagine the the newer dvd players are as good as hcpc but at what cost. You also will not get the flexibility you get with a pc.

If you have a quick search then you will see some comments i made back then comparing the pio 757 to the 935, i would do a link in this thread but i dont know how to link the pages as the full extension is no longer in the web browser.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have a Momitsu V880 languishing somwhere upstairs, similar in price the the 935 but in terms of quality its' DVI output compares well to my HCPC when the PC is using a simple DVD player. However, when you start adding processing like FFDSHOW then the DVD player can't keep up .. not even my Pioneer 868 can.

However, to get this PQ requires an investment of time and technical knowledge, not because it's difficult but there's a lot of things that need to all work at the same time and when they don't .. ;)

The PC can of course play a lot more material like high-definition media, can act as a PVR if that's of interest, etc.

6. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    When I compared my HTPC (vga) to a denon 2900 (component) the image quality was roughly the same if not a little better on the HTPC. Also the denon had much smoother pans, plays SACD & DVD-A so I'm getting a dedicated dvd player as well as HTPC which will also be used as a normal desktop PC.