Pc video signal when calibrating?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sim12, Oct 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    So I think I have my chain right for calibration except I'm not sure about the pc I'm using to calibrate with.

The chain is as follow:- Gpu =0-255, Madvr = 16-235, projector = 16 - 235 and displaycal to create 3dlut set to 16 -235.

Now the PC I'm going to use to calibrate with, should that be set to 16-235 or 0-255 ?

I'm looking forward to seeing responses to this I know from previous threads that some of you on here really know your stuff in this department:thumbsup:. So hopefully aswell as an answer, any other tips etc you could add would be great. Thanks Sim11

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    The overlay from the software player should be video levels (16 to 235) and that's what I used to use. Just make sure you can see the black bars for 17 and it's not being hidden/crushed, and you can usually check that in the software player. I usually calibrate for 235/236 but some people like to go up to 240, so that's a personal choice. You can probably tweak that in the player too.

3. sim12

sim12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    On my panasinic pt-at6000e there is a dynamic iris and super white options, should they be turned off to calibrate, and if so wouldn't they manipulate the calibrated image if used afterwards ?,or is it generally better to leave these options turned off completely ?

4. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    I've never calibrated a Panasonic so this is just m personal opinion. Someone with experience may suggest a different approach.

With some projectors, some people calibrate with SW on, others with it off - when using a test disk to set brightness and contrast, see if you can set it up ok with SW off first. If you had a light meter, you could measure on/off contrast to see which one gives the most CR (probably SW off). SW on may allow setting contrast above 235 if that's your preference, so if that's the case you may want it on.

Calibrate with the DI off. Some DIs alter the greyscale when they operate so you would then be chasing a moving target, so probably best to calibrate with the DI off. It's up to you if you leave it on for watching content - if you're happy with how it works you can leave it on and benefit from the extra contrast, but if it's visible and distracting, you'll probably want to leave it off.