1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC video editing novice/idiot needs advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by new, May 6, 2004.

1. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease:

I have just got my self a brand new PC with the aim of putting our video Camcorded tapes of the children onto DVD.

( The PC I have got is this one: http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/171913.html )

I will want to edit, & add music, titles etc.

I have been having a look around at the programmes & books to do this, but quite frankly I feel swamped with info. :confused:

So I have decided to ask here for any advice on people who have done this sort of thing.

Can anybody pleases recommend me books/software cables etc to get me started?

Thanks

:lease:

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Is your Camocder digital ?

If it is you'll need a firewire cable to stream your footage to your PC for editing.

The software I use is Pinnacle Studio which is excellent and ideal for the novice.

Once you have finshed editing your footage where do you plan to keep it ? - assuming your PC has a DVD burner then pinnacle will burn it to DVD for you.

3. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Cam use good old fashion video tapes, & wes my PC comes wit a DVD burner.

Ill look into Pinnacle Studio a bit more.

Thanks for the info!

4. expat

expat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I just started a similar pursuit several weeks ago (see my contributions to the thread Capture format?

You'll probably need a TV card to do the video capture. I'm using one from Terratec (Cinergy 200 TV ) and have been happy with it so far.

The software I'm using is:

VirtualDub for capture and editing

TMPGEnc for transferring the edited AVI files to MPEG-1 format

InterVideo WinDVR 3 for authoring VCDs (I don't have a DVD burner; VCDs are good enough for me at the moment, as they hold over an hour of video at MPEG-1 resolution).

VirtualDub and TMPGEnc are freeware; WinDVR 3 came with the TV card. So my only investment up to now has been in the TV card itself.

I find the programs relatively easy to use, although I assume some of the integrated SW applications for video (from Pinnacle etc.) might be more user-friendly...

5. Antoeknee

Antoeknee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a new video editor (just finished my first project) I can recommend Pinnacle Studio. Easy to use and can do the whole job from capture to writing DVD.

Take a look at Amazon for price when your looking as it was cheaper there when I bought mine.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Well the specs of your new PC are plenty good enough to do video editing. More good news is that you alread have some very good editing software installed as Windows XP comes with Movie Maker. Get onto the MS web site and get the free upgrade to MM2 and you will be able to do all your capture & editing.
    Although you have a DVD writer listed it does not mention any software that is used with it. You may well have some basic DVD authoring software provided, but if not I can recommend Ulead DVD Movie Factory 3. It is very simple to use and will add menus & chapters to your disk and then burn them for you. It can be bought online for around £25.

Do a search on these forums for details on useing Movie Maker. I know that some people have recommended a web site with full instruction on MM2: http://www.eicsoftware.com/PapaJohn/MM2/MM2.html

Other than that about all you should need is a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable. Get this online for around £7, don't go into Dixons etc and pay around £20.

All my above recommendations are based on my assumption that you have a miniDV or other digital camcorder. If analogue then things really do start to get expensive and complicated.

Hope this helps,
    Mark.

7. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark.

Unfortunatly I have analogue, although I am know thinking of sending my tapes away to be put onto to disc & then use them.

Has anybody any idea what cable I would need to get the analogue tapes onto my hard drive?

8. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    Well as I said, for analogue it not only gets a bit more complicated but also more expensive.

The type of lead you need will plug into your PC via USB2.0 but might work with USB1.1
    Something like Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Usb V9. Fore details look Here

Do a bit of searching and you might well find it or something similar cheaper.

Be aware that the final quality from these USB capture devices may well be lower than you would like. There are more expensive options if quality is required.

Mark.

9. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mark

I have another question for you or anybody else who could help.

My PC has this option "TVout - output from PC to TV, great for viewing DVD discs"

So does this mean I will still need the " Pinnacle Studio Moviebox Usb V9"

Or could I get away with the "Pinnacle Studio 9.0"

Also if I did get all my Home Video tapes put onto CD/DVD by an outside company would I just need "Pinnacle Studio 9.0".

I think Im going to go with a Pinnacle packadge either way as I have heard good reports about them.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    TVout is as it suggests, just a method of getting the screen to be shown on a TV. It does not give you any method of getting TV/video into the PC. So yes, you wil still need some hardware to be able to capture video onto the PC.

This is just the software. You do need the hardware to capture the footage from an anlogue camcorder. If you had digital cam then this would work fine with the firewire port on your PC.

You would not need to buy anything if you pay somebody else to do the capture/editing/disk creation. Your PC should already have all the software required to play a DVD.

Mark.

11. new

new

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A BIG THANK YOU for your time & help Mark:smashin:

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    It's my pleasure. Its great to be able to return the favour of giving helpful advise when I have asked more than my fair share on these forums in the past (and probably the future).

Have fun with the new hobby and feel free to keep asking any questions as and when you need to!

Mark.

13. mafw

mafw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few other options to capture from an Analogue camcorder:

- Good TV card (with analogue inputs).
    - Dedicated Analogue capture card (e.g. Pinnacle DC10+ or Canopus ADVC50)
    - External Analogue to DV device such as Canopus ADVC100 or Pinnacle Moviebox DV.

I haven't tried a Pinnacle Moviebox USB, but I would guess that the quality
    will be noticably worse than the original. I have found TV cards can give decent results, but can be difficult to use.

Pinnacle stuff tends to be easy to use and good value, but many people (including myself) have had trouble with their hardware and software.

Canopus has a good reputation.

Hope this helps.