1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc via vga

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by sheep, Jan 29, 2005.

1. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i have been using my dvi to hdmi connections on my tosh for pc and have been very happy with the massively high res i could achieve but today bought a panasonic s97 so of course i now need the hdmi connection so i connected my pc via vga but it shows vga in a box on top left of screen boots to win xp logo with blue moving bar and then goes black screen??if i connect via laptop to vga it says xvga in top corner and boots fine to 1024 res no problem anyone got any ideas its probably very simple but my brains a bit fried from all the research on dlp's hdmi etc
    thanks
    sheep

2. hifiboom

hifiboom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i`ve read a little bit in the manual of the Tosh,
    i am not sure but I think I have read something about DSUB-resolution.

maximum resolution is 1024x768. Maybe you set up your PC with a higher resolution.

and maybe wrong refresh rate.

3. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i just checked manual again in vga mode only 640 by 480 is available so my next question is why is tosh only seeing my pc as vga when laptop is recognised as xvga i run top spec system with ge-force 6800 gt???
    sheep

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    From other threads, it seems 1280*720 or 1280*768 work well, but I suspect that the key is 60Hz... I can't imagine it will support anything faster then that!!!

Oh Sheep, what resolution ,etc did you manage to get PC->HDMI ( I assume a DVI->HDMI Lead?).. and was it anygood???

cheers

5. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i had res of over 1900 through dvi but as i said i cant even get a picture past the win xp logo screen just goes blank i am fairly sure its because its seeing the pc as vga which means as the pc res is set as 800/600 it wont see it but why will it recognise laptop as xvga and not my much more powerful pc?

6. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Check the refresh rate on your Desktop PC, this will need to be set to (I would think) 60Hz.. and try 1024*768 resolution to start with, before going upto 1280*720/1280*768

I would connect your PC to your normal monitor, set it up as above, then reboot on the Toshiba..

The laptop, which is LCD, will already be set to 60Hz, as the DVI standard says this is the maximum (although most LCD's will do 75Hz via DVI).. and by default, the VGA will be set to 'mirror' the DVI, hence 60Hz refresh rate..

The reason your main PC is failing when loading XP, is becuase the PC boots in 640*480 up until the XP logo disappears, then it kicks into the res/refresh your desktop is running in..

7. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i set the pc to 800/600 (lowest it will go)with a refresh of 60 but it wont go past xp logo as said laptop shows xvga but pc vga??

8. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    you may have a point when i plugged in tosh to pc via dvi it recognised the tosh so probably has set a new monitor setting for it and now ive returned to vga input it thinks it is the original monitor which was set at 1280/760 but at 75 hz....thanks i will try lol

9. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    just to say thanks my settings had stuck to my previous monitor adjusted to 60 hz and hey presto im typing this at 1280/720 with perfect text and stunning graphics,just played a HD sample through win media 10.......wow!!! got to buy some high def dvd's what do you suggest???
    thanks again
    sheep

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Underworld is good

11. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    being a thick newbie what do i need to look for on the dvd cover when shopping in whsmiths or wherever to make sure im getting a hd-dvd,i have been downloading 1080 clips from win media site........wow is underworld that good?? lol

12. sheppy

sheppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Have any of you guys tried using a nvidia graphics card with the tosh via vga no matter what i try I can only get the tv to display 4:3!

I've tried 1280 x 768, 1024 x 720 and forced the display settings to override to 60hz. by the way the graphics card is the fx5200

Any suggestions anyone??

13. jhkanguk

jhkanguk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am using 1280 x 768 @ 60Hz in PC mode and I get full wide screen.

1280 x 720 DOESN'T WORK.

I have XFX GeForce 6600.

14. sheppy

sheppy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    this is seriously bugging me now !!

I have changed my settings to 1280 x 768 60hz turned pc of rebooted connected to the tosh and lo and behold all I get is a black screen !

Anybody any more suggestions?

Cheers in advance

15. GID

GID
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi sheep, are you saying that you are connecting thru hdmi at 280*720 ?

16. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    hi i was connecting via hdmi to dvi at a max res of 1900/something but was using it wides screen at 17??/??? sorry cant remember it was days ago lol but i was amazingly high via vga i can only get 1280/760 but i modded the res as suggested here to 1280/768 and it works fine as for Sheppy follow Demon's advice if you plugged your pc straight into the tv it thinks it still is connected to the monitor(via hdmi it even tells you its a tosh tv lol)so if you had your refresh rate set higher than 60hz your screen will stay black,so reconnect pc to monitor change to 1024 res(to be safe)and refresh of 60hz save changes reconnect to tv via vga and there you go
    p.s has anyone else got any dvd titles that are high res ive got all the win media clips but want some good stuff for my hdmi dvd player i just bought and their still rare on the ground i think?although those clips blew me away
    sheep

17. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Hi sheep,

Sorry to tell you this, but your DVD player, although HDMI, and although it can no doubt output at 720P etc, it can only play 'normal' DVD's,

As in the max resolution of the 'source' will be 576P for a PAL DVD and 480P for a NTSC DVD.. the DVD player will then upsample these to 720P for example..

Of course, no doubt you will get more benefit from buying 'superbit' editions of films, as these are encoded with a higher bitrate, and therefore less compression then normal DVD's, but the difference will not be night an day..

I think the confusion comes because you can buy these HiDef films on a 'DVD' disk... but the HD version of the film cannot be played in your standalone HDMI DVD player, they can only be played from your PC via VGA/HDMI... they are shipped on 'DVD' simply because the file sizes are so big, thats the only thing they can fit them on!!!

18. sheep

sheep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    im on the phone tp panasonic now....and it looks like they agree with you didnt dis-trust you but i was sold this under the pretence that i could play hd-dvd so as you can imagine i aint a happy bunny so will be going back to shop@panasonic in Taunton,Somerset to have a quiet word and will carry on playing my hd-dvd's through pc
    thanks Demon
    Sheep

19. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    You won't find HD DVDs in WH SMiths or any regular store.

Only the on-line sites.
    e.g. Play also have some of the titles referenced on the win media site.

You need to look for DVDs that state WMV-HD or Divx-HD. Nothing else is HD at present.