PC VGA out to Component in on Plasma?

D

dgordon

Good morning.

I have been searching for an answer to the following question but to no avail so I have decided to post in the hopes that somebody can help me :)

I have a Panasonic TH-42PW6 Plasma mounted on the wall of my living room with a Van Damme component cable running behind the walls into my AV cupboard under the stair where I keep all of my kit. I am currently using a Zektor HDS4 Component switch to relay the video via component to the Plasma and I now need connect up my PC to the HDS4 / Plasma too.

My question is: Can I get a VGA to Compenent cable and simply connect my PC up or do I need some kind of convertor box to convert between the two?

I am struggling to get an answer by myself so if anyone knows please let me know.

Many thanks

Dave

Component is a different colour space to RGB so this won't work. I think you can get graphics cards that will output component video, otherwise you will need to use a RGB-YUV transcoder and run the PC at a HD resolution such as 1280 x 720 (so when it is converted to component it becomes 720p which the plasma's component board will understand). Won't be ideal, but does mean you won't have to lay new cables.

I don't think this is gonna be cheap though (see Kramer FC-14) and god knows how the PC image is gonna end up once rescaled by the plasma! Probably easier in the long run to do a new cable install (and get some digital cable behind their too for future HD) or try one of those wireless jobbies if it's just for casual web browsing

Ah I see, Thanks for the informative respsonse. it sounds like my best bet is to get a Component enabled Graphics card for the PC I think. I am already kicking myself for not laying HDMI or DVI as well as component and know I will have to re-lay that eventually for HD material (plus I will need a new Plasma that works at correct 720p and 1080i resolutions :()

Kind Regards
Dave

i got a radeon 9600 card, and you can buy a dvi->comp adapter for it. i also use powerstrip to output custom resolutions, as windows per default is very limited to resolutions available.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom