1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc Upgrade Peeps

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Spooksta, May 11, 2003.

1. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    OK
    Im about to upgrade my pc (currently 1.3 athlon 256 pc133 Epox mobo)
    I was then going to order this lot and wonderd waht people thought of parts and price....

Asus A7V8X-LSA1394 DDR333 KT400 x8AGP +Lan+USB2+AT £90.48

AMD *Retail* Athlon XP "Barton" 2500+ (1.83 GHz)
    £107.92

512Mb PC3200 (PC400) DDR Memory (Major) £49.35

Carriage £7.00
    TOTAL £255.97

Questions i have......
    1. Is it worth getting PC400 or get PC333
    2. Ive heard that Asus baord takes DDR400 now?
    3. Should i get a Barton chip or spend the £125 on a faster
    AMD *Retail* Athlon XP 2600+ (2.08 GHz) *333 FSB* with AMD Heatsink & Fan ????
    4 . Whats Major and Branded mean when next to memory ????

The total is only £255 with delivery and i could flog my current "bits" for £90 so only cost me £165 upgrade
    Thanks for your help
    ps
    im not after a gfx card yet cos waiting for DOOM to come out 1st
    Want to get the pc board and chip upgraded now so when i get new gfx i can concentrate all my money in that area. Ive got a GF3 Ti200 at the mo
    cheers for any help

2. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Sorry this was wrong forum.Ive posted on the right one now.

3. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    One bit of advice I would offer is to go for an nForce2 chipset motherboard rather than the VIA KT400. Asus make a good one, as do Abit and Epox.

The XP2600+ has the older Thoroughbred core, afaik.

PC400 memory is more than adequate, and as long as you don't plan to overclock, you needn't pay the premium for Corsair or similar RAM.

4. Spooksta

Spooksta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Cheers for the advice.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    make sure your power supply can cope with the increased juice the new system will require. get two sticks of 256mb memory rather than 1 stick of 512mb so you can make use of the ddr dual settings on a nforce 2 motherboard. I see no mention of a sound card although most nforce 2 boards tend to have onbord sound.

6. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I recently upgraded my computer i spent ages looking at magazines seeing what is best this is what i reccomend.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe board. This is an Nforce2 motherboard takes 400mhz ddr ram and the sound is dolby digital some say better than creative audigy 2. I made the mistake of buying the non deluxe board becasue i thought they were the same apart from SATA and firewaire. The board costs £100

The other motherboard you might consider magazines rate it but the ASUS is the best they say but the other board is Epox 8RDA+ £85.

Processor
    I have got the Barton chip £100 it cost me and came with an AMD cooler i can play games at high resouloution and maximum details games like Raven Shiled and Unreal 2. Other processors i recomend are
    2600 £112
    2700 £141
    2800 £180

Memory. I suggest 333 not 400 because 333 is more stable according to magazines and forums. I got Winbond singe 512 ddr stick PC2700 333 for £48
    other makes that are good are
    Samsung
    Kingmax
    Nanya
    Corsair

I hope this helps you get any of the things i have mentioned you wont go wrong. I suggest buying a radeon 9500 graphics card too and a hard drive at least 7200 rpm and you will have a great machine.

7. tony kop77

tony kop77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    I got 350W supply that came with a see through case for £30. I have not had any problems it does not get hot or crash. I agree get 2 memory sticks i am getting anotehr 512 in few weeks but what does dual settings do.

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
  9. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good advice, the A7N8X mobo is indeed a peach. Gotta take issue with the onboard audio comparison with an Audigy 2 though. There is no way a £100 mobo can have sound to match the A2 which is a dedicated THX spec'ed card and is a serious quality item. Onboard sound these days is better than it should be given the price and the deluxe A7N8X is one of the better examples. But better than an A2? No way Jose!

10. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    If you're going for the A7N8X or any other NForce based motherboard, and playing games, do not forget it is the only chipset that will ENCODE surround sound games to dolby digital, very useful, and can cut down on cabling.

11. Stekelly

Stekelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just thought id stick my tuppence worth in, being from the land of inflated prices im not going to embarass myself by including what i paid but ull get an idea here http://www.peats.ie/ . Y didnt i shop online i here u ask?. because at the moment im poor, but i do happen to work for peats so i was conveiniently able to put it on my staff a/c and pay for it over about 6 months, anyway this is what i upgraded to (from a 600Mhz Athlon with 256Mb, so needless to say im happt with the result)
    Gigabyte 7VAXP Ultra m/b
    Athlon XP 2800+
    512Mb DDr
    Creative Inspire 6.1 6700
    Radeon 9700 (still to get)

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another Irish member :clap:

Welcome Ste(ve)?? to the forums.

Peats - Parnell St. I assume. Often in "de big smoke" (a Limerick lad you see) - see you there some day.

Re: mainboards - been playing with a NF7-S Rev 2 for the past week or so - giving up on it now - it's going back :mad:

Works fine with an XP1700+ @ 2.4gHz (200 FSB) in DDR, but refuses to go any higher (mem/FSB wise).

Loads of other issues with nVidia's (dire) SW IDE driver - had to go with XP's own drivers & loads of probs with the SATA interface - general problems all around - very disappointing.

Might try another board in case this one is just iffy, but beware, the nForce 2 is not without problems - this from an experienced PC'er.

:hiya:

13. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer,

What corrosion inhibitor do you use in your H2O rig and in what ratio? Do you use any dyes in your mixture? Just putting the finishing touches to a fully internal H2O setup of my own, looking for some mild overclocking eventually but just want the thing to start up and run properly to begin with.

14. Stekelly

Stekelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap:
    Lo Kramer. Greetings from all the way up here, well i dont actually work IN Peats Im in th eSony Centre in O'connell street but we're owned by Peats. Not good to hear of problems, mines running ok, Im gonna install XP 2moro (after i get it) and do a full re-install on everything. The 1st 1 was a bit of a rush job to get the sys up and running cos I knew i was getting XP soon and was going to do the install anyway :hiya:

15. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Censored.

Just "water wetter" & distilled water for me - 6 months now 24/7 with no apparent problems. All DD blocks look as new (transparent topped jobbies) & the water is clear as the day I put it in. All copper system though (plastic res). Smells like cats pee though :D

Stekelly.

Sony Centre - been in there too - probably saw you :smashin: Best of luck with the install tomorrow.

:)

16. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kramer,

I'm using water wetter too in a 20:1 ratio, I feel confident knowing you have the same stuff in your rig and it's OK. Got an AMD setup from 'Wet 'n' Chilly Chips' 'cos the blue and anodized ali. construction matches the rest of my rig. I'm also using blue UV dye as the whole lighting scheme is UV based and looks awesome in it's present semi-complete state. It's not all show and no go either, Radeon 9700 will be getting the Pro BIOS, XP2800+ Barton will also be getting a good hiding and my twin 512meg sticks of OCZ DDR3500 should allow some impressive FSB's but as I say, just looking for reliability at the moment.

17. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds coooooooool - should look really sweet.

My 9700 Pro does 415/730 :eek: Will go to 425/750 when benching - pretty impressive. Hence I've no desire to upgrade for some time in this regard.

Was hoping the nForce 2 with Dual DDR would be a significant step up, but turned out to be a retrograde step :( Did turn in some very impressive benchmarks though > 18k in 3D Mark '01 at just 2.2gHz & 200fsb.

Sorry for hijacking the thread :(

18. CENSORED

CENSORED

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, I can probably get this back on track. I run an A7V8X in my 'cooking' rig and it does everything it says on the box, no worries there then. However, like most people, I would recommend the A7N8X on the basis of the nForce2 chipset as, in most other respects, these two mobo's are almost identical. The A7N8X is the mainboard I have in my H2O rig though it has yet to be commissioned, I am therefore interested to hear that Kramer reports bad news with this mobo. For my own peace of mind, and Spooksta's I dare say, it would be interesting to hear exactly what the problem was as this board is getting rave reviews at the moment.