PC upgrade opinions?

stu1873

I have been using a home PC that i built around 8+ years ago. It has done me well but recently it has become rather slow and the CPU has been maxed out just trying to watch YouTube videos at 1080p so i am thinking of upgrading the components to a more modern setup.

I do not do any gaming on my PC so it is just for general tasks and watching YouTube ect so i am not looking to break the bank. I have a budget of around £250.

My current specs are-

MSI 760GM-P23(FX) (MS-7641)
AMD Phenom II X4 960T
Nvidia GeForce GT 640
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 8GB
OCZ ARC 100 240GB

As i have not really followed the rapid advancement of PC components since i last put the one i have together i am not too sure what's good for a budget build nowadays. Although i know how to build a PC i still consider myself a novice when it comes to compatibility / overclocking ect.

I have been looking at buying these components which come to around £220

MSI A320M-A PRO M2
AMD Ryzen 3 3200G
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16
Kingston SSD A400 M.2 Solid State Drive, 240 GB

Now i am not sure if all of these components are compatible with each other and if the onboard graphics of the motherboard or CPU will be better than my crappy Nvidia GT640 card or will i have to budget for another one?

Any advice on if this new setup will be a good one for my needs or if there are any other more suitable components for my budget will be most welcome.

Cheers
Stuart

GreyMutton

Why do you want to upgrade? Is it running slow or is there a specific app you need to run?
Given you've said it's for general use I'm guessing 8gb ram would be fine and the money saved could go towards upgrading to an nvme SSD drive.
For your usage, I'd guess the integrated graphics on that CPU will be fine.

stu1873

I mostly want to upgrade as i do like to watch Youtube on the PC and a couple of times the CPU has maxed out just trying to play videos at 1080p. The videos were unwatchable and buffering like mad.

My motherboard is quite old now so it will only accept AM3 CPU's which seem to be on par price wise with the newer AM4 ones and it has no slot for an NVME SSD.

next010

Distinguished Member
For you just youtube all you should need is a need is a new GPU that has hardware video decode built in with support for VP9 and H.264, you can see Nvidia table for hardware decode here.

If you want something cheap the GT1030 should suffice it has VP9/H.264 hardware decode and are around the £80 price point.

Youtube does not use H.265/HEVC but if for whatever reason you want that, the GTX-1650 is the lowest end model with full HEVC support, older models have partial support.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom