PC-ULTRA vs PB12-PLUS/2

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by figlio, Mar 4, 2005.

1. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am interesting in buying one of these subs?Which one do you recommend between these 2 subs.The price is nearly the same.I am going to use it 80% movies 20% music.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,672
    I chose the PC-Ultra for my system,having looked at both the models you've mentioned,plus the PB12/Ultra.
    I decided on a cylinder model in the end,as I need something that can be easily placed,and doesnt take up too much space,and the PC-Ultra fitted the bill perfectly....so far(and I've only had it for a few days),it's an excellent sub overall...fast enough to work very well on music,and has excellent extension and control.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    If your room is of stadium proportions, then the PB12 Plus/2 would be the better buy, if it is a normal sized room, then the PC Ultra would be the better buy :) I love my PC Ultra :) It's luurrrrrvly.

You'll get Smurfin coming on in a moment though screaming about headroom :D but don't listen to him, he's mad, lovely, but mad.......why mad? He has just bought TWO PB12 Ultra /2's!!! :eek: If you can afford to buy two PB12 Ultra /2's, then do that instead :)

4. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hmm, I am also in the same position - considering an upgrade from my MJ Ref 150.

I really like the look of the PB12-Plus/2 but somehow don't think it will get pass the Mrs' strict approval criteria - hang on a minute, who wears the trousers?

So if they deliver similar amounts of bass and slam then perhaps the cyclinder may pose less of a hassle to convince of the merits!?

Kazman, did you not get my PM re questions about shipping from US?

5. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Hi Darren

I can't remember it :( (I get sooo many PM's with questions now a days its sometimes hard to keep up). Apologies if I missed it.

You should find this link helpful http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121385

Should cover all you need to know about shipping from the US and buying from SVS :)

If you need any more help, let us know :).

6. Audionyx

Audionyx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Kazman,

No worries mate - I was quite drunk when I wrote it and wondered if my etiquette may have been lost in a bottle or two of Warsteiner!!

I saw that post re the shipping after I had PM'd you and found it very useful.

Take it easy

7. Des Flurane

Des Flurane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mad Darren,
    I'm in the opposite camp, my wife hates the cylinder but gives consent ( loves would be too strong a term!) for the plus/2 box.
    The clincher was Bass-Oldie's pictures with lamps, plants and ornaments on top of the box!
    The sub will be behind the sofa, so mostly out of sight.
    Just waiting for a shipping quote from Ron.
    Des.

8. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Just bear in mind that no matter how big you think the pb12-plus2 will be, it is in fact bigger when it arrives!
    Obviously the dimensions are correct but I even went to the extent of making a cardboard box the same size to imagine how it would look but it was still a shock when it was carried on its pallet into my lounge!
    Love it to bits though!

9. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I was amazed when my PB12-Ultra/2 arrived, it barely fit through the door & corridor. Imagine if I had opted for the PB12-Plus/4, that was in B-stock for $2000 at that time, which is almost 1.5x as wide! :eek:

10. Rip

Rip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Hi Ettepet, i am about to order a PB12-Ultra/2 very soon, can you tell me what sub did you have before the Ultra, & how they compare. Also, you must of had a chance to give it a good play with by now , so what do you think of it ?

11. Ettepet

Ettepet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hi Rip,

The Ultra/2 is doing fine. :D

I have owned several items that have inspired months-long (almost) butterfly feelings, and after improving the accoustics of my apartment, the PB12-Ultra/2 is certainly one of them. :thumbsup:

Previous "Audio-winners": a Yamaha RX692RDS + beautiful remote :blush:; the Yamaha SW800 sub (which I still own), and my versatile and very capable Pioneer AX10. Strange enough I never felt nearly as comfortable with the PB12-Plus/2, my previous subwoofer.

My advice would be: if you cannot make your own IB (f.i. here: link), don't need 16Hz or lower tuning, and can afford it, the Ultra/2 is a fine choice indeed!