PC TV Setup

jillo

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here, so please forgive me for any errors!!

My problem is, I have a Windows XP pc connected to my tv in the living room via HDMI with an optical cable going to a Bose Lifestyle 18 so that I can get Dolby 5.1. At present I load up the computer and I have made a browser page with links to streaming websites like NowTV, Netflix, BBC Iplayer etc.

I control the pc with either a VNC connection on my iPad or mobile mouse software on my iPhone.

It all works ok but it is very "clunky"! The PC is still on PC setup where it would be easy to scroll up and down to select new episodes, but this is a bit of hassle with the VNC and the mobile mouse.

I bought a Roku streaming stick hoping that would solve my problems but it does no work with the Bose Lifestyle.

I was wondering if anyone knows of any way to make a pc browser display websites in a "tablet" style but still give a Dolby 5.1 output?

Hope someone can help!

Update to Windows 8, WinXP is far too old to be using anyway.

Win 8 will give you the modern app/UI system which are basically tablet apps, as these apps are designed for use with touch or a mouse they are much easier to control via remote desktop instances.

You could also use the IE browser too which is also designed with touch in mind.

Only the old models of the Roku have optical outputs none of the newer models do, the other option and cheap too is buy a HDMI audio extractor so you can pipe the audio from the Roku stick HDMI out into an optical channel.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom