1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC - TV connection

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Erick, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I don't have a clue which forum to post it in.

I want to use my TV as a monitor for my PC, to watch movies. I bought a PC-DVD-TV kit yesterday. I set it up and the screen is black and white, has a high contrast and is also flickering.

Do I have to configure the PC to so that it knows it's connected to the TV so the picture quality is improved?

It is connected to a scart connector from the TV/OUT socket on the back of the PC.

BTW - I'm no expert on PCs so please be as simple as possible.

Thanks very much.

2. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sounds like you're only picking up half the signal.

Is the TV out on your video card S-video?

If so you need an S-video scart input socket on your TV and a scart cable that carries s-video. Bit messy , but the scart standard has been bodged to keep it up to date.

If your TV has a second scart, try it, as often the 2 sockets are different modes (one RGB, one s-video).

Try a composite video output from your PC if it has one - quality won't be good, but at least it should all work.

Even with s-video you can't use it really as a PC monitor, the resolution of a TV, and of an s-video connection just isn't up to a digital display - be fine for watching films and TV though.

3. Erick

Erick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errmm, I'm not sure.

I have the scart connector thing, which has the red/white/yellow sockets on the back as well as an S-video socket to which it is connected to the TV/OUT on my PC... It has 4 pins on the end of the cable?

Could you explain to me what composite video output is?

4. Pootle

Pootle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Composite video carries the whole TV signal on one piece of wire. It doesn't work too well.

S-video uses one piece of wire for the blavk and white signal, and another for the colour information. It gives much better pictures than composite.

RGB uses 3 wires, and give the best results of all, but computer video cards can usually only generate RGB for computer monitors, not for TV's (there are some differences between the normal TV RGB signal and a computer monitor signal, which is also RGB, but not compatible.

So you connect the red white yellow into the scart, but the scart plug needs to go into the right sort of scart socket on the TV. If you only have the one, it sounds like its the wrong sort unfortunately.