Pc turns on then off :/

Bigpig

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Right I upgraded my main pc and made a second pc with my old parts.

It's been working fine for the past two days but now when I turn it on it will stay on then tun off after 3 sec

Tested it with 3 PSU's

Now when I remove the power cable going to the cpu it will turn on and stay on.

Any ideas?

The smaller 4/8 pin power or the 24 pin atx power supply?

I had to wiggle my big 24 pin to get all the pins corrected properly.
Anyway let me know what one it is?

You say "remove it" completely???

the smaller one which goes to the cpu. The power to the pc will stay on fans spinning when unplugged

With the smaller plug in it turns on and then off after a few secs. so dont think its a short.

I removed all the ram with both pins in and the pc stays on.

Starting to think its the mobo thats gone

Strange...

Tried a CMOS clear, removing the battery, etc to clear any problems?

If so, is the mobo still under warranty?

Have you made sure the CPU fan is plugged in correctly and if the fan on it is running,sounds like it's not being detected and shutting down to stop damage to it.Do you have the little speaker connected to the mainboard to give you error beeps,if not try to get one.I'd recheck the cables from the case switches to the mainboard are plugged onto the correct pins,ie power switch hdd led etc.Try one ram stick at a time to eliminate any faulty one.If all is ok with the above I would rebuild outside the case to eliminate the shorting out theory.Post back with your spec and psu size.Good luck.

Am 100% sure its not the psu. Tested it with my 900w seasonsonic that's running my abridge pc.

I tested it outside the case this morning using the screwdriver trick same problem. I removed all the RAM and the pc don't turn it self off. Test both sticks by them self no luck

Do you have a speaker connected,any beep codes from it.What mainboard ram etc.

sorry was at work and posted that on my phone :D
Right spec is
e6600
680i BFG mobo
2gb of DDR2

tested both sticks of ram same problem.

reseted the cpu fan and heatskink twice.

I test it now with thpluggedker pluged in

yes!!

Got it going. Was taking the battery out then i seen the reset CMOS jumper doh.

Had to do this a few times now. dodgy fan controller?

seems it wont turn on when I turn off floppy disk drive error)

hmm keeps happing :/

But I can now it into windows etc just have to keep reseting the CMOS to reload? Also checked my cpu temps and it said -173

Last edited:
Replace the cmos battery and try again,also short the two reset pins while you have the battery out.

Replace the cmos battery and try again,also short the two reset pins while you have the battery out.

Done same problem :/

Would update the bios now but my floppy dont work lol

Take it I can rule out the cpu and ram? if I can load windows etc?

Use a usb bootable or the dvd drive to load the new bios.Just burn *only* the BIOS you want to flash with to a CD, reboot with the CD as a boot drive first in the boot sequence, hit alt+F2 (I think) at the right moment (when it tells you) and you should be ok.

Had to go go buy a cheap 775 mobo

The bfg went ape before I could flash it.

So are all your problems sorted now?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom