PC Troubles - Windows 7 Won't Boot

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
I am having a few snags with my (Windows 7) Desktop PC - I can't get it to boot - it just hangs when launching the OS (on the black 'Starting Windows' screen).

System specs are:
- Windows 7 HE 64Bit
- Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz 8 MB cache LGA1366 - Overclocked
- 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator GT PC16000 DDR3/2000mhz Triple Channel Memory (Windows Memory Check OK)
- Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600
- TAGAN PSU 1100W TG1100-U33 SuperRock Power Supply
- Kingston SSDNow V Series 128GB SSD (F: - Windows 7 installed on this drive)
- Hitachi 2TB HDD
- Hitachi 750GB HDD
- Lite-On IHOS104-37 4X Blu-Ray Player
- LG BH08LS20 BD-RE Burner
- Creative Labs Fatality Championship X-FI Card

I have run Windows Repair and it seems unable to help. It 'searches for problems' and then merely announces that it can't repair the PC. Checking the log this creates doesnt reveal anything other than numerous 'Errorcode - 0x0' labels. Attempting to use a Restore Point through the Windows Repair facility again just comes up as failed - rebooting normally Windows just hangs as per normal.

In am fairly certain this must be hardware related - I have been away so my desktop has only been used periodically for internet browsing. I was thinking it may be the SSD HDD? Could the symptoms match this? Upon investigation on the Command Prompt (accessed through Windows Repair) I can still see the drive but for filesize it is listed as 0 bytes (although I can see all the folders). However Windows does start to Boot so it can't be a complete disc failure...

Any help would be appreciated! :lease:

Many thanks

Rasczak

spyder viewer

I'm a great believer in reducing the number of variables to assist in tracking down the problem, so I would reduce the ram down to 2gb. Start by disconnecting the two hard drives and either of the bluray drives.

If that doesn't help, you could try a fresh install of W7 on either of the hds, after disconnecting the SSD. Also, there are plenty of Linux based HD repair utilities around. If you use one of these, at least it gives you the oportunity to have a look around the machine and do some basic diagnostics. It also gives you an idea of how much of the hardware is working ok.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Guys, thanks for the replies. I decided to go for a re-install of Windows 7 - installed onto the SSD (old version being moved to Windows.old) and everything is working. I'll see how things pan out over the next few days/weeks. Thankfully most of my programmes/archives files are held on the other drives so re-installing is easy.

Berties

Banned
If it's the same problem on any hard drive (black screen) try ALT-CTRL-DEL. It'll bring up taskman and that's it...well known problem.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Think I have nailed this down to the Soundcard. I was all up and running, re-installed the X-FI drivers whereby the system hung during the upgrading and then stalled during booting again freezing at the Windows 7 spash screen. Had to re-install Windows again :suicide:

Guess it is time for a new Soundcard...

Trending threads

Top Bottom