• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC to TV

Jake2

Standard Member
I am trying to connect my computer (running XP) with my TV using a VGA cable. If I plug the computer into a computer monitor and start it up, everything works fine. I then unplug the monitor and plug in my TV and everything is still fine. I have found that my TV works with 4 different resolutions. I can do this same thing with any of the resolutions.

The problem is that if I have my TV plugged into the computer when I start it up, my TV monitor says "". I then unplug the TV from the computer and plug my computer monitor in, and the monitor says "Out of Frequency Range". I have tried this with every possible resolution and it still happens. I change the frequency up to the highest and down to the lowest and the same thing.

Is there any hope for me?

Chris Muriel

Distinguished Member
Make and model number of TV ?
Make and model of graphics card ?
Are you using the latest Windoze drivers for your graphics card ?
(e.g Catalyst driver package if you have an ATI card).

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
"Frequency range" is the refresh rate, assuming you're using an LCD monitor and an UK TV then the monitor will favour 60hz and the TV 50hz so try both of those.

You could check the manuals and see if there's any combinations of refresh rates they have in common.

p.s. What's the fourth resolution? I guess 640x480, 1366x768 and 1920x1080 are three, is 1024x768 the other?

Jake2

Standard Member
I think this is the graphics card information:

Name: AMD 760G
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip Type: AMD 760G (0x9616)
DAC Type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
Approx. Total Memory: 320.0 MB

Main Driver: ati2dvag.dll
Version: 6.14.0010.6879
Date: 10/28/2008
WHQL Logo'd: Yes
Mini VDD: ati2mtag.sys
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

My TV is Toshiba 40XV645U

The resolutions that it works on are:
800x600
1024x768
1280x768
1280x1024

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
The 760G is the motherboard chip that houses, among other things, the integrated graphics which aren't necessarily the ones in use, but if it's showing up alongside display driver information then it is likely to be.

The graphics for that chip are known as the HD 3000 (not to be confused with the more recent Intel HD 3000).

Looking at the manual it appears it will only accept those resolutions and two other (640x480 and 1360x768).

Last edited:

Jake2

Standard Member
So if the manual says it should accept all those resolutions, and it does indeed work on those resolutions so long as I start up the computer while its plugged into a computer monitor, why doesn't it work when I start the computer up plugged into the TV?

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Because when the computer starts up it interogates the monitor or tv for model info etc. If it doesn't get this info, it doesn't know what to set the graphics to. Suprised you can't set the default options though.

Are you switching displays live? Perhaps a graphics option with two outputs is the solution?

Jake2

Standard Member
What do you mean set the default options?

Yes, I switch the displays live.

I'd rather not have my computer monitor next to my TV.

spyder viewer

Distinguished Member
Set it in Catalyst Control Center.

Jake2

Standard Member
I simply installed Catalyst Control Center and now it works fine. I'm not sure I understand why, but who cares! Thanks for the help.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom