1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to tv s-video to scart

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by liamh, Nov 29, 2004.

1. liamh

liamh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hiho, im gonna be getting an s-video cable to link my pc to my tv, so i can watch videos, play games etc with the sound coming from the correct direction :p (surround sound is set up for my tv/xbox, and pc is facing different direction)

my tv is only 20inches though, so im wondering if it's really necessary to buy a good high quality cable - such as this

or just use something cheap such as this

ive just lost my job, so i'd like to spend my last £25 well, otherwise i would have just gone for the expensive one :p

ive tried the yellow composite connection thing but the quality is clearly much worse than that of my xbox's rgb

advice is very welcome :)

2. liamh

liamh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    did i post in the wrong section or something? :confused:

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It isn't an easy question to answer as you can get all sorts of problems using poorly screened and badly assembled cables. I have never heard of the cable that you linked to but wonder exactly how good a 5 metre cable offering all that connectivity can be for £5.11. It could suffer from Gerald Ratner syndrome which is probably why no-one has recommended that you go down the route.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's not just a question of the cable - it also has a lot to do with how good the impedance matching is at each end, and unfortunately you have no control over that. Recently on Ebuyer.com there was a fool ranting about how their cheap s-video cables gave poor results, when many other people had used the cables to their complete satisfaction. The bottom line is that if you have inferior quality gear at each end of the cable (and I'm not inferring that you have), an expensive cable isn't going to help much.

5. liamh

liamh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ahh.. not a simple thing i see :p

the outpout should be good quality i hope, considering the amount i paid for the radeon9800pro gfx card, but... my tv seems a little cheap, the graphics card itself cost more than the tv - (this is for my bedroom btw, im a student and got this when i was 14, so no big living room setup lol :p) - http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...s/widescreen43tv-nicam43tv-21s23?opendocument

if my tv is as bad as it seems to me, are chances of the cable working properly any good?