PC to TV project

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by prodata, Feb 6, 2009.

1. prodata

prodata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [Sorry not sure where to post this - hopefully here is OK. Also this is more of a technical application question than one about domestic TV - hope that's OK too.]

I want to set up a configuration to use a PC in a dual monitor configuration where one monitor is the main LCD PC monitor for general PC use and the second one is an SDTV showing the output of a single PC program. (Specifically SD-TV because I may want to use a video sender to view the TV signal in another room and budget won't stretch to an HD video sender.)

I bought in a cheap dual output graphics card (Asus Radeon 3450) with TV-Out but it looks like the makers very kindly upgraded the TV-Out spec relative to the online spec I was buying from. Unfortunately instead of composite TV-Out it's got HDMI.

So two questions:

1. I just wanted to confirm my understanding that there's no cheap way to interface the HDMI output to a cheap video sender? (Actually the graphics card has VGA + DVI + TV-Out so another option would be to buy a cheapish (StarTech?) scan converter and use the VGA output to feed this. But I'm specifically asking about the HDMI output here to make sure I'm clear on that.)

2. If I forget about the video sender for the moment and connect a TV directly to the PC's new HDMI TV-Out then I'm a little hazy about how I can be sure that I can set SD rather than HD to feed the TV. (On the basis that a TV with HDMI input is likely to be HD Ready and might default to HD rather than SD in this configuration, whereas I specifically want to test an SD video feed.)

Maybe this will all become clear when I set up the kit, which hasn't been done yet because I haven't got a suitable portable PC yet. So for example, I can't see how to configure the TV-Out in the PC video driver set-up, presumably because that option isn't yet enabled in the driver because there's no TV actually connected. And if I do connect an HD Ready portable TV then is that likely to give me the option of whether to use SD or an HD mode for the input signal or could it depend on the TV model? (I was considering maybe the Samsung SM932MW which seems to be on offer at present for £150)

2. Mad Monk

Mad Monk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'm a bit confused as to which outputs your graphics card has, is it VGA-DVI-TV Out or VGA-DVI-TV Out?

3. prodata

prodata
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has 3 outputs: VGA + DVI + TV-Out (the latter being presented only as HDMI). I'm guessing that only two outputs can be used at the same time, but the 'documentation' isn't very clear as to whether this might be any two out of the three or what - the installation guide isn't much help on this detail and although there's a lot of 'online' Help to plough through I can't readily spot an answer to this specific question. I dare say that this might become clear once I start connecting up a TV but I'm not at this stage yet.

4. Mad Monk

Mad Monk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Well the VGA is analogue so in theory you could use a VGA to SCART converter (JS Technologies comes to mind) and then into your video sender. It could possibly work.