PC to TV Help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by DrFrank, Jul 18, 2001.

1. DrFrank

DrFrank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone enlighten me on the best method of getting a signal from my PC to be displayed on my TV.

I know TV out Video Cards are available but I mainly want to use my PC for text based applications like email and browsing and have doubts if the resolution of my TV can cope.

Can anyone recommend a video card for viewing text on a TV?

I have a Sony 28”Widescreen (not100MHz).

Cheers!

2. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,033
    TBH, TV-out cards are fine for watching DVD's on a TV but any normal comupter operations such as surfing, e-mail, word processing, etc. is extremely bad.

I would definately recommend you do NOT even bother.
    I can just about cope with web stuff if the text is set to the largest, and even then it's still pretty bad.

3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,542
    You really are better off spending less than £200 on a 19" monitor which will give you miles more definition than even a really good TV.
    Home cinema PCs excel whn using the VGA output to a projector. Don't bother using a normal (interlaced) TV.

4. McDuck

McDuck

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using a TV as a monitor for the last 3 years quite happily. I run it in 800X600 if I have any problems seeing anything I use the magnifier built into windows. Works a treat for me email internet playing games. A monitor is better but if you are limited by space etc then using the TV is ideal I have a 29" Sony. I also use a program that you can adjust the picture with can't remember the name of it if you are interested let me know.

Luke

[ 30-07-2001: Message edited by: McDuck ]

5. dosser

dosser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DrFrank, just wondered how you got on with connecting to your TV from your HTPC. I'm in a similar position now, cos I can't afford a new TV, Projector etc. I have a Toshiba 28" Widescreen TV which I am intending using for the PC, so my wife and kids can use the Internet, Email and play games, as well as Home Cinema.

Not every one in these forums has money to burn.

Did you manage to use it and with what results.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,542
    :rolleyes: