PC to Sony KDL40W2000 best connection??

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by spitzoid, Sep 10, 2007.

1. spitzoid

spitzoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I would like to know if anyone knows the best way (best picture & Sound) to connect my PC (Radeon X800 Graphics card) to my Sony KDL40W2000.

I have tried it using the PC input on the back of the TV (VGA connection) but the picture seems of quite poor quality. I have also tried a monster DVI - HDMI cable, and while the picture was good (720p) I couldn't hear any sound??

Can anyone tell me either; how to get sound on the TV whilst running the DVI - HDMI cable, or how to get a better picture through VGA, or anything else they can think of!!:)

Excuse my ignorance!!

Cheers,
    Elliot

2. JohnOrion

JohnOrion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way an expert on this matter. However, one thing I do know is that HDMI doesn't carry sound at all -- at least not when you connect an HDMI-cable from your PC to your telly.

I have a similar situation. I recently bought Sony 40D3000 and need to connect it with my laptop in order to get picture and sound. The distance from my computer to my telly is about 5 metres. Now many people use VGA cables in this type of situation. Perhaps this is because VGA cables are cheap, in many tellys only they give you what is called 1:1 pixel perfect (although in 40D3000 HDMI gives 1:1 pixel perfect as well -- or so have I read) and HDMI offers only marginal improvements in picture. Also, you indeed can get sound via VGA cable. On the other hand, HDMI should give some improvements and, in the case of D3000, it gives you access to digital picture/resolution settins VGA doesn't offer.

So while the clearly cheapest choice would be to use VGA, I'm probably gonna go with 5 metre HDMI-HDMI -cable (with adapter) and a 5 metre optical cable. Sure this means more money and more cables, but what can I say... we live in a digital age.