1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to PV500, but PC in other room

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by grumpyguy, Jul 14, 2005.

1. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    How can I connect my pc in one room, to my Panny PV500 in my living room, so that I get sound and picture. Sound would be either through Panny or Receiver. To cable up the wall and through the loft, then down the other wall, would be about 20-25m. My gfx card is a radeon x800 pro, sound card is either onboard optical, or via sound blaster audigy 2 zs

Any ideas would be very gratefully accepted. :lease:

2. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    20m is a lot... I don´t even know if DVI cables can be that long :confused:

Even if so... you´d need a really good cable and 20m should be pretty expensive.

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Nah mate, cable will be far too bulky and expensive. You'll be wanting video over cat5 wire, with VGA 'baluns'. It'll be £100 or near enough, but excellent quality, and a thin, easily hidden cable. www.madnat.co.uk for some info/purchase. You can buy the cat5 in B&Q these days, terminating it is easy, loads of info on the net. And think of the use you'll get from the pliers and packet of plugs and spare cable. Build your own home network with the leftovers.

4. gibreal

gibreal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    u could just wait for a next gen console, and stream all your movies from your PC through a highspeed wi-fi network. You'll have to wait till Nov tho at the earliest tho.

Im sure some other company will come out with a similiar cheap(ish) wireless solution in the mean time.

5. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    philips do a system now.

For around £100

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unless it's 54 or 108g wi fi, such devices (philips are not alone) are not really worth bothering with in my experience. I've got a Pinnacle media centre here to test. Well actually I've tested it, this is a real network streamer BTW, and the PQ is total rubbish, even via my scaler and it's component video output. Get the PC connected, it gives you max power. You get web, gaming, streamed music etc all on your plasma. Nothing else offers that at any comparable cost.

7. gibreal

gibreal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maw I was thinking of faster standards again. 802.11n (or whatever its final name is) at least 5 times the speed of g. (and there's a few for sale ready and getting excellent reviews.

I agree that the pc functionality would be limited tho.

8. gibreal

gibreal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also...once the bit stream has started (and is fast enough to suppy the encoded rate) the image quality should be indentical to a direct connection.

9. mintguy

mintguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About 5 months I got a bog-standard XBox from Argos for £99 and I soft-modded it myself using the HotSwap method. On the modded XBox I replaced the regular dash with XBox Media Center (XBMC). I've got a wireless 802.11g network and I recently bought a Linksys NSLU2 (or "Slug" as it is affectionately know) ethernet storage thingy. Attached to this is an IcyBox USB drive enclosure containing a 250gb drive upon which I store all of my mp3 and video media files. Streaming to the Xbox works a treat, it couldn't be better. Until I got the this box I was regularly streaming stuff from my PC and again it worked a treat. With XBMC I can also stream stuff directly off the Internet. I highly recommend this set up.

P.S. My 42" Panny PV500 arrives tomorrow :D . With XBMC you can set it up to deliver hi-def, so this will be my next experiment.

10. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I was just going to mention the xbox.
    Rather than spend £100 on video over cat5, you could spend £150 on a pre-modded xbox and as already mentioned, use xbmc for streaming media files. You also get a games machine for free!

lisa

11. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well well, I already have one of these networked through my pc anyway. Xbox is right underneath pv500. Will try today.

Cheers :smashin:

12. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    Even cheaper then - is it modded? And have you got the advanced rgb scvart cable? The one I have has a break out box for spdif...

13. dino2021

dino2021

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I have been using my xbox for years for streaming media and storage of media, works great, I was using it when it was xbox media player, same team just a different program, I have the hi def component output lead for and can't say enough good about it :)

It will also upscale video res to 720p/1080i, the only down side is it wont play HD material (.TS files) it just doesn't have enough grunt.

Works great with my PV500 :)

Dino

14. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Does XBMC play wmv hidef files, as I can't get it to play a trailer of batman begins?