1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to projector ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jonnormy, Oct 24, 2005.

1. jonnormy

jonnormy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all just got myself a new comp and thought about connecting it to a themescene h79 projector ( not got that yet ) . Never had a projector before and dont have a amp or desent dvd player , so thought that connection to my comp would be the ideal solution . Ill be using it for dvd movies and games my computer spec is

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 FX-55
    Motherboard: Asus A8N-SLI Socket 939 PCI-Express
    Graphics card: GeForce 7800 GTX PCI-Express
    Memory: 2GB Corsair TwinX PC3200 Pro
    Hard disk drive 1: Raptor 36GB S-ATA 150
    Hard disk drive 2: Caviar SE 200GB S-ATA 150
    Optical drive 1: 16x DVD-Rom drive
    Optical drive 2: DVD+/-RW dual layer
    Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Speakers: Creative Megaworks THX 5.1 550
    Operating System: Windows XP Home SP2
    and a blck gold tv card

Will be connecting it with a dvi cable and running the audio through my pc speakers . My questions are , will i get a good enough picture through my pj , and will i need any special software to make things run smoothly . Any advise would be greatly appreciated , the pj will run 1280 x 720 resolution . so would be nice to watch my dvd's at that and games if possible . Also will i get a widescreen pictire on my screen ..thanks :lease:

2. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    Should work fine mate.

I currently don't have a monitor and use my BenQ 6210 as its ONLY monitor, works wonders. The only issue you may have is to enlarge your Windows font to make it readable. This can be done in desktop properties.

Think i've probably got the biggest screen for any player in Eve-Online :D

*edit: I didn't use any special software but I do connect via VGA to VGA. Don't think this will make a diference.

3. jonnormy

jonnormy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 4 the advise Monty , what about widescreen ? Will this be an issue

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    I'm afraid I can't comment too much on that as my projector is 4:3. I can play widescreen on it though with no issues, i just get the big black bars across the top and bottom.

5. DEANO-B

DEANO-B
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Not an issue - just setup res. to 1280x720 with powerstrip

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    You can set 1280x720 directly in the Nvidia driver, so you don't really need Powerstrip.

7. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Using a computer to pass the video to the projector is one of the best solutions out there. You can feed the native projector resolution directly via a PC graphic card (look up HCPC or HTPC for other related threads)

Also, as you have a GForce card then the latest nvidia drivers offer the same features as powerstrip in the advanced settings so you wont need that either.

Its all good.

Anim

8. jonnormy

jonnormy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for everyone who as taken time to reply , the info is certainly a big help . Just waiting for H79 stock to arrive so i can demo one . The only other thing i need will be a screen , the pj will be at about 13ft distance from it . I have a 99" wall on which to put one so not too sure what size to go for . Dont need a fixed one , so a good manual one would be great . Thanks again

9. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah, the same as what everyone else said but the icing on the cake is a great program called reclock which you will need to use it when playing dvds and downloaded content as it will smooth it out for you and remove any judders. Reclock will also teach you to set the right refresh rate for each movie you play as it turns yellow in the taskbar if you have selected the wrong refresh so for movies that are 25 frames set your refresh to 75hz and then reclock will smooth it out for you. One more tip for you , if you are running dvds via your PC setting your refresh to 50hz is a must! If you have any issues with juddery playback just refer back to this thread and PM me.

P.S. i use my PJ with my PC and xbox using hidef cable. Plugging anything else into your PJ will give you average results and doesn't do your PJ justice so thank god for PCs!!

10. jonnormy

jonnormy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks 4 that FlyingBig , will certainly download that if i can find it ..lol.. What about a player 4 my dvd's ? anyone know a good player as i only have windows media player on at the mo , will that be ok . thanks

11. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about NTSC DVDs :confused: :D

:smoke:

12. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    60hz of course, most NTSC DVDs run at 30 frames so since 30hz is impossible 60hz is the next best as it is an exact multiple of 30.

jonnormy: I use Zoom Player and i find it the best. What graphics card do you own? If it is an nvidia card then get NVDVD and then you are set as it is specifically designed to get the best out of an nvidia based card, if it is ATI then using WinDVD will be good enough. The beauty of Zoom Player is you can customise it to use WinDVD or NVDVD if you have both installed so its very flexible unlike windows media player which is a POS imo.

13. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    Actually, thats incorrect. NTSC films are 24fps, so ideally your projector should sync at 48hz to give ultimate smoothing. 60hz still has judders for NTSC, but not every display device offers 48hz

14. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I stand corrected :) I don't own many region 1 dvds and the ones i do have i have never watched on the PJ. I was under the impression that ntsc material can be either 24 or 30 frames but i think you are correct that most run at 24 frames.

15. jonnormy

jonnormy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My card is a nVidia GeForce 7800 GTX , ill have a look 4 the software you recomended thanks . Still waiting 4 the pj to arrive at the store , will post more info when ive had a demo at the store . Thanks 4 all your reply's

16. Anim

Anim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
  17. JiveTalker

JiveTalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was quite a good article but it didn't mention that to convert a movie (24 fps) to NTSC (30 fps) that some frames are duplicated resulting in jerky motion on slow camera pans (e.g the sweeping shots of the ship in Titanic).

That is why some enthusiasts want projectors that display at 48 or 72 Hz allowing the NTSC signal to be converted back to 24 different frames and then to show each one 2 or 3 times thus enabling smooth playback at the correct speed unlike either PAL or NTSC!

I am quite surprised that 72 Hz (or even 96 Hz) was never built into the dvd standard as it would have been the best way to play back movies and would have been within range of the technical limits of a modern tv set, many of which already go up to 100 Hz. A conversion to 50 or 60 Hz could have been provided as backwards compatible option rather than the standard. I'm not an expert on tvs so perhaps different refresh rates isn't as easy to implement on a tv as it is on a monitor?

It doesn't look as if HDDVD or BluRay are going to support 72Hz either. :(

18. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Hi, just wanted to ask a quick question if any of you guys have tried 1080i 1920x1080 desktops on your HD compatible projectors and what results youve found.

Ive achieved a 1920x1080i destop but only running as yet via 30Hz (all my ati allows unfortunatly though Nvidia seems to offer 60Hz)

Yes i understand its still showing 1080i scaled to a 1280x720 resolution but with resizing text it is much more productive for multitasking entertainment with utilities, really puts to shame the desktop limits of the native resolution for general PC usage.

Perhaps give it a try...

19. UrbanT

UrbanT
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,038
    I don't really understand this. 1280 x 720 gives 1:1 pixel mapping, why would you want 1080i? Is this simply to allow a bigger working space?

I have tried 1080i but I'd much rather use the native res to be honest

20. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Exactly you get a full 1920x1080 sized desktop.

Its no different to scaling a HD source at that pixel size and with a little tweaking of text sizes etc ive found it to be wonderous. Ive used this in a 3way display configuration with dual 19" TFTs.

Native is clearer yes but both have their benifits.

Now is a GFX card best set to 1920x1080 for 1080i content and allowing the PJ to scale as it would normally a 1080i source rather than have the GFX card output a 1080i video scaled down to standard native res of the panel eg. 1280x720

im considering testing:
    1920x1080 desktop for 1080i playback
    1280x720 desktop for 720p playback

Thoughts to this madness welcomed but its really GFX card scaling Vs Projector/Display scaling performance isnt it....

21. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my BenQ 7700 1080i looks fine for 1080i movies played on my PC but for using it as a PC monitor it's hideous, the lines flicker so badly it's unusable.

When using DVI I'm only able to get 50Hz and 60Hz.

Oddly enough even when I set my 6800GT to 60Hz it still outputs 50Hz. I have to go into the custom refresh rates to get 60Hz out of it.

To the original poster the picture quality from the PC is fantastic. Using VGA it's very good, using DVI it's damn near perfect.

22. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Sorry if my questions run the thread off track a little but it might all be relivent anyways. I use VGA because im running over a 14 metre cable distance, though it looks fine.

With ATI cards ive found needing to use the advanced "Control Centre" not just the resolution properties screen from desktop as the "Control Centre" is where HDTV options can be added including manually configured 1080i / 720p resolution to cure PC desktop overscan (typical problem on plasma or LCD tvs)

My brothers Panasonic 50" Plasma via Nvidia works grand at 1080i @ 60Hz though, practically zero text shimmering.

Do you think its best to use the PC desktop resolution to match the source material?

23. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bugblatter what do you mean the lines flicker? I am considering getting the BenQ but you have done a good job of putting me off, you are telling me if you output via vga to your PJ at the native res you get flickering?

24. Bugblatter

Bugblatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At native res, i.e. 720p (1280x720), it looks fantastic. At 1080i you definitely won't want to use it for computer windows. Horizontal and vertical lines flicker a helluva lot when you set your res to 1080i. Remember it's interlaced in both directions, not just vertically.

It's the nature of the beast, any projector short of 1080p will have this problem.

25. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good Good, i don't give a rats ass what 1080i is like as i am buying this PJ for 720p as i will be using the Xbox 360/PS3/Sky HD eventually and at all times i will have the computer resolution set to 1280*720 as why would i need to go higher? I will run games at that resolution as well. What about movie/downloaded content? What about Dvd playback from the PC? Does it all look good? :clap:

26. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Well it seems then performance at 1080i will depend on the unit

Maybe others will comment but certainly on the AE700 it handles it pretty well though id love to be able to try 60hz via nvidia as even my Sony V40 LCD struggles being much poorer with 1080i @ 30Hz signal the ati produces.

Tbh with testing ive done/witnessed id put forward that if you want the best PC usage with a projector i recommend using at least a 2way display via perhaps a laptop or additional TFT for main application viewing then using the projector for the multimedia/entertainment.

Applications like "ultramon" make having multiple screens very benifical, practical and simple to operate with customisable presets.

Just an idea what can be possible with Pcs/Consoles and multiple screens:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A guys setup, i have the odd coffee in...

27. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad robot that looks like a great setup, I would be interested to know how much the pc set you back?

28. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    All you need for 3way display on PC is to add an additional PCI card which are quite cheap.

This guys used an X800 AGP and 9200 PCI ATI card i think.

29. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hello bad robot I think I know you. ;)
    I'm not stalking ! lol :)

FlyingBig
    Playing DVDs through PC is better IMO than a dedicated player that upscales. Only have experience of the Panny s97 though. HTPCs and projectors are a great match.

30. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Ive been reprogrammed after too much overclocking but always nice to find a friend...