pc to projector

DisguisedCoot

Established Member
Reaction score
i am about to hook my pc upto my projector via the d-sub connetion. 2 questions
1. is this possible
2. what software/hardware do i need to get the best picture from my PC.
I have a p4 running@ 2.8ghz and 5200 graphics card, can i just connect the projector to the monitor socket on my pc. I have tried the s-video connection from the grafix card but dont know what resolution to set the pc at. Any help would be great as i am new to this

Yes the vga connection it will give u a picture depending on what resolutions your projector accepts.

Then to get the very best picture set the resolution on your PC to the same native resolution of your projector this is 1:1 pixal mapping this means your projector doesnt have to scale the image giving the best picture. If you cant find the res on the pc use a program called powerstrip to set custom resolutions.

lilesgary said:
1. is this possible
I have a p4 running@ 2.8ghz and 5200 graphics card, can i just connect the projector to the monitor socket on my pc. I have tried the s-video connection from the grafix card but dont know what resolution to set the pc at. Any help would be great as i am new to this

Most projectors will take an input from the standard VGA "d-sub" connector but if your graphics card has a DVI connector then you will get a better picture using that. (You may actually have a DVI connector with an adaptor plugged into it that downgrades it to D-Sub to connect to your computer monitor)

Without knowing the resolution of your projector it is difficult to advise the best option.

I see that somebody else was a bit quicker at typing than me, d'oh! :rolleyes:

my projector has a native resolution of 858x484 its ratio is 16:9
it also say it can do hdtv 1080i, 720p whats is this ?

lilesgary said:
1. is this possible

if your projector has the d-sub input then yes its possible, i would advise getting a decent thick cable tho to prevent loss of signal, Belkin make a decent cable, they also do an extension cable from it if you need the extra length.....

your graphics card isnt exactly powerful tho, so you wont be running HD resolution and getting good gaming from it.....really need more info on your projector......however one thing you need to do is download the latest nVdia graphics drivers and that should allow you to set custom resolutions if necessary for the projector....oh and if you run in clone mode as opposed to switching from monitor to PJ on the computer then make sure the PJ is the main device, not the monitor, some PJ's will autoswitch to another source when the PC blanks its screen while loading or whatever.....

oh, and the s-video really wont be very good to a PJ, its bad enough hooking it up to a TV..heh...if your screen is quite big it will look pretty dogs dinnerish...(especially from that graphics card).....

it means your projector is capable of displaying 1080i, 720p (1920 x 1080 and 1280x720) but it will scale that back to the native res. So the best way is to just give the projector the native res that way it wont have to do anything to scale it back but some projectors will not accept it so try it out using powerstrip (do a search) and set a custom resolution.

my projector is a sony VPL-HS2, i not bothered about using it for games just media dvd,divx etc reccomend a good graifix card ?

nVidia 6600GT is apparently very good as a HTPC card.....the drivers for nVidia are pretty good too.....

i think u can get them under £100 brand new now if u shop around....www.overclockers.co.uk have a bunch, dont worry too much about make, go for the one with the most bits offered free in the box..lol

these will give you fairly hassle free video watching.....or look for similar priced ATI alternatives.....make sure you buy AGP or PCI-E depending on what your computer has, if you got a 5200 in there im fairly certain you will be AGP...heh

if you want to game then go for something more like a 6800GT or X800XT...cost closer to double the price, but does much better with 3d engines...

I'd try your 5200 first - you may well find it's perfectly adequate for what you want.

for DVD the 5200 will probably just about suffice....cant remember what the ramdacs are on it....

if they 400's then its ok...

but for divx and that sorta stuff, its usually better to have something in the 6600GT and above stakes to be worth sticking out over a projector...

is there any software that i would need ? my screen is 8ft big.

with your current card, you can output on s-video if it has s-video socket on back of the card , some 5200's have them, some dont, using the latest graphics card drivers from nVidia....but the quality wont be fantastic...

if you want to use VGA or DVI then get a cable and try it, again use the latest drivers, if it doesnt let you then you might need some software, but best to check a forum dedicated to this sort of thing, do a search for HTPC (Home Theatre PC)....those sites will give you far more information....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom