• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PC to projector - possible?

bmad

Standard Member
Hi. Sorry not too sure where to post this but basically I'm having a 1080p projector installed later this week. Amongst other things I would like to have the ability to occasionally play certain games on my PC with the projector. Just want to know if its possible.

My setup plan for the PC is this:

PC (HDMI out via my GTX 295) to Onkyo 875 AV reciever
PC SPDIF out, (or optical) to AV Reciever - not bothered about HD audio from the PC. Stereo will even be ok. Just need some sound!

Keyboard and mouse will be wireless jobbies which I have yet to get but they work from different rooms very well with no lag. Apparently!

Everything has to route via the AMP as the Mitsubishi projector (HC3800) ony has one HDMI input.

It's actually not that important if this isn't possible as the projector install is primarily for movies/consoles however it would be a bonus if I could play WOW on a 106" screen.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

DrMekon

Established Member
I think youve answered your own quesiton...

PC (HDMI out via my GTX 295) to Onkyo 875 AV reciever
PC SPDIF out, (or optical) to AV Reciever

Doesnt really matter what the sources are you are routing via the amp, dvd player, bluray, pc.. etc... HDMI & Optical from PC to the PJ via Receiver.. thats the way I have mine...

I know some cards will also do audio over hdmi, not sure about the 295 though... I know ATi cards will...

DrugstoreCowboy

Established Member
You can pass digital audio from your sound card to the GTX then out of via HDMI if that's any easier.

I don't think you'd get any more than 2 channel audio for games unless you have a DDL card so if you could use analogue out from the PC it's probably better.

Apart from that it's no different than connecting the PC to a TV or a monitor.

bmad

Standard Member
You can pass digital audio from your sound card to the GTX then out of via HDMI if that's any easier.

I don't think you'd get any more than 2 channel audio for games unless you have a DDL card so if you could use analogue out from the PC it's probably better.

Apart from that it's no different than connecting the PC to a TV or a monitor.

Excellent thanks! Tbh so long as I get some sort of sound thats fine. Its stereo on my pc now anyway.

pierreye

Standard Member
In actual fact if your GTX card can transfer LPCM 5.1 to your receiver, you don't need DDL (Dolby Digital Live) for 5.1 channel sound from PC. I use ATI card and it's working for gaming in 5.1. Just make sure you set your sound properties for video card from Stereo to 5.1 or 7.1 depends on your AVR and speaker configuration.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom