Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PC to Plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by scoooby, Aug 2, 2004.

1. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having splashed out £15 at PC World for a monior cable I dashed home and wired up my laptop to my Hitachi screen.

Picture is incredible, pin sharp- colours realy vibrant, however, when I play a dvd, although the picture plays on the laptop screen, it doesn't on the plasma!!

Realy frustrating because having got myself a copy of Taxi 3 Hi-Definition I was realy looking forward to trying it out!

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

2. Member 6435

Member 6435

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +324
    Scoooby

On some laptops you have to basically open the signal path to an external monitor. This may be where your problem lies. To switch to an external display device most computers use Function (Fn) and the 'F' keys (F5 & F8 are the most common ones). There may be a small screen icon on one of the keys otherwise have a look in your manual. You may lose the image on your laptop when you route the picture to the external device but by again using the Function & appropriate 'F' key you will get it back again. When running DVDs you may only be able to get the picture on either the laptop screen or the external device i.e. your plasma - not both.

Regards

Alastair :hiya:

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I tried this before, using the TV out from my laptop, and found that while I can see the windows desktop and the e.g. media player on my TV I sometimes cannot see what is played inside the media player. Depending on the source the actual screen in the media player remains black.

4. hopdylan

hopdylan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think this is due to overlay settings, you should be able to change this in the graphics card properties.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Hopdylan is right in one respect, but the remedy is not that simple. Windows will not display overlay video on monitor ID no. 2. So you have to make the plasma your primary monitor, not just extend your desktop onto it. Then you'll have some fun when you disconnect without reverting to your normal settings. You might well have a 'hot key' for swapping monitors, this is the simplest way. ie no LCD display when using the plasma.

6. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice guys- I'll have a fiddle tonight!