1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC TO PLASMA - how do I no if my PC supports coaxial/optical ??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamieuk23, Apr 11, 2005.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    MY goal >> to be able to play PC games on my plasma TV which is around 12-15m a way from my PC

My problem >> I have been told from the guy from tvcabels.co.uk that for me to be able to get 5.1 surround sound from my gaming my PC would need to support coaxial or optical ( digital) audio so I can run a cable from the back of my PC to my Amplifier.

what does coaxial and optical inputs look like so I can check on the back of my PC to see if my PC supports it ????

from looking at the back of my PC thou I can only see 3 very small holes, which have......

1 > Left audio speaker pin

2 > Right audio speaker pin

3 > microphone input (empty)

so I am guessing that my PC doesnt support coaxial or optical inputs ??

I cant run Audio from my PC to plasma direct as I have no speakers attached to my plasma as my 5.1 speaker setup all runs threw my AMP.

wot are my options here ???

thanks for help ( no dout hornydragon lol)

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    What soundcard is it?
    Most support spdif (optical out)
    If not on the main soundcard - there may be an add-on board,
    But not sure if the sound will travel that distance and retain quality

lisa

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    other option is run a sim surround Dolby Prologic 2x etc from a stereo source ideal if you use a matrix sound field for the purpose DTS neo 6 is also very good...............some games have sound encoded especailly for this and while not as good as DD/DTS5.1 still pretty bloody good.....and when did you get a 50" (please tell me not a samsung!)

4. lJoublanc

lJoublanc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To get 5.1 sound you either need 3x phono stereo cables (and 3 or more phono outputs from soundcard) to plug into the back of your amp or a single spdif cable (and spdif output from soundcard) to plug into your amp.

:lesson: NOTE

you can only get 6 channels FROM GAMES through an spdif cable (either coaxial or optical) if your soundcard can encode the signals into dolby digital ac-3. The only hardware that does this (to my knowledge) are nforce2 boards or the x-mystique soundcard from hitec.

You should be able to get a long spdif cable without any quality loss as the as the signal is digitally encoded.