1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PC to Panny 5 Series

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by pwarren, Jul 15, 2003.

1. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected my Panasonic TH-42PW5B to my PC via a VDC VGA cable. The picture as noted on previous threads when first attached is not great. I have researched this extensively but am not making much headway, so any help is appreciated.

Firstly, it is recommended that I turn 'Clear Type' option on within Windows XP. I cannot find this! I'm running XP Home with lastest service pack. Does it have to be the Pro version, or am I looking in the wrong place.

Secondly, I have a Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 graphics card and have downloaded the lastest driver from Nvidia, there is surposed to be an option to custom the resolution to say 852x480, but again I can't find it. Anyone managed this?

Thirdly, I will snap in the picture using the bitmaps I got of the US avforum (many thanks), when I get the above sorted. My problem is this, I use the VGA via a JS convertor for Sky+. If I snap in the picture will I screw it up for when watching sky+ through my VGA connection.

Fourthly, I was going to get a switching box for the 2 VGA soucres. Will this visibly degrade the picture? Any experiences here would be useful or a recommended box.

Lastly, I was going to download powerstrip, but was going to see If I could get the GeForce card doing the job. Again any experiences here?

My PC sets is refresh to 60Hz, I can change this by checking an option to display refresh outside the panel capability. Would this work? What is the maximum capable for the panasonic display?

Sorry its long winded, just trying to cover everything.

Regards

Paul

2. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Powerstrip is very good (quite complex too - took me about a day to work out how to use it and sort out my plasma) - if you just want to set a custom res I would use your driver if it is possible, but powerstip offers some extra functionality that you may find useful like application profiles, i.e. by default I run in 848x480 but I have it configured to change to 800x600 or something when I run my browser as this is better for surfing, when you close your browser it goes back to default resolution.

It allows you to set up a custom "monitor" for your plasma within Windows and if you get your plasma manual and enter the correct refresh limits etc then this should ensure that you cannot accidentally set a mode that the plasma cannot handle.

Also I could not get a custom res of 852x480 to work on my (Nvidia) card - something about both values having to be divisible by 8 to work so you have to select a different value (848x480) which on the latest Nvidia drivers I have now seems to be a standard selectable resolution. Took me ages of searching through the US HTPC forums to figure that one though.

3. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Codlord

Just a quick question. In the nvidia drivers, where do you change the resolution? I can't find it. The only thing I've come across is the standard windows resolution which is a minimum of 800x600. Also did you manage to find this clear type option?

Cheers

Paul

4. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    On my drivers I have loads of resolution options within the standard windows res change slider.

If you go into the Display Properties, click 'Advanced' and then on the 'Adapter' tab and there should be a button 'List All Modes...' - do you see other resolutions here?

Have not seen anywhere on my drivers to set custom resolutions though.

As for ClearType I don't run XP at home or work so not sure but found this on the web:

* right-click in a blank space on the desktop
    * choose Properties
    * select the Appearance tab
    * click the Effects button at the lower right of the dialog box
    * make sure that there is a checkmark next to “Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts” and that “ClearType” is the choice in the pulldown menu
    * click OK to exit

5. pwarren

pwarren

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Codlord for the reply and looking that up for me.
    I'll give it a bash tonight and let you know how it works.
    Cheers
    Paul

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    The best way to not just activate but also fine-tune ClearType is to go to this web page.