1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pc to panasonic ae500

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by mickey, Jul 18, 2004.

1. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    hi guys, I would just like to pick yours brains if i may?, Am I correct in thinking I can just purchase a normal dvi monitor cable just to see if there is a perceptable difference(to my eyes) between component input from my pioneer 565a player and a dvi input from my pc which is equipped with a radeon 9600xt card and xp2600 processor before I invest in either a dvi capable player or go the htpc route since my pc is actually in the room above my ceiling mounted pj it wouldnt be much of a problem to get the two hooked up. I imagine to get the 5.1 sound i would have to connect digitally to my amp Yes?. thanks in advance for any info. Mike

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    To get the best results you need to set the desktop resolution to the native resolution of the projector's LCD panels. You can do this with some graphics card drivers ( I've somehow managed it with my nVidia FX5200 ) or, more usually, using a shareware application called Powerstrip. Do a search for 1:1 pixel-mapping for more details. When everything snaps into place it will/should look noticably sharper, and with better colour definition, than the component in - at least that's the case on my AE100, feeding it VGA.

You'll also need a software DVD player - an evalution copy of WinDVD should suffice for this experiment, and possibly some softare to make your DVD-ROM drive region free ( DVD Region-Free or AnyDVD will do this )

Cheers

Simon

3. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    hi guys just an update. Tried connecting my pc to my ae500 with a bettercables dvi lead using powerstrip and power dvd and all i can say is "not impressed". maybe i am doing something wrong but after 8 hours of trying to get a decent picture :eek: I have decided it is just not worth it, my pc may not be the very latest but its spec is easily enough to cope. but the picture from my 565 pioneer through component was way better than the dvi from my pc which looked like a badly compressed jpeg with all jagged edges . I tried the powerstrip setting suggested on this and other forums still no joy the colours may have been more realistic but the jaggies really made it look cr*&, the panny said it was getting a xga feed at first then i managed to get it to say it was getting a 720 feed but still those damn jaggies :mad:. ah well the cable will make a nice swing for the kids then. :D :)

4. mickey

mickey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    OK i take it back picture is better, sharper and more realistic, edges are more defined. problem before seems to have been with powerdvd rather than the pc, with ulead dvd player the picture is pretty damn good :clap: . But I think i wil go the dvi route through a dedicated player. htpc is just too much hassle for not really that much difference.now to tell wifey i need 700 quid :eek: ;)

5. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Dont give up on the HTPC route I'm using the AE500 with a 9m Bettercables DVI cable,but using Theatertek as a software player(tried the PDI option) with a Powerstrip res of 750p,the GPU is a Radeon 9500 pro.
    The result I get with HiDef stuff is amazing !
    Rob

6. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob - I've just ordered a new PC specifically to give HiDef a go - the only thing I will need to add is a graphics card and a Radeon seems the best bet - the 9800 pro for about £130 should be decent, yes? Also, I've currently only got an AE100 and although I know it'll take a HD feed (720p or 1080i) I'm keen to know what sort of improvements I'd expect to see from say the AE500?

7. RobsterD

RobsterD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I would imagine the 9800 would be plenty good enough more critical is the CPU,I'm using an AMD 2600 and 512m memory @ 400Mhz,not really O/c multiplier at 10.5,will probably upgrade to the 3200@400Mhz ,prices are now lookin good.
    The AE500 was my first PJ,so cant comment on the AE100 but I'm happy with the PQ,have downloaded a few of the MS Hidef stuff and am now patiently waiting for some full length versions to be delivered
    just try to ignore that VB :eek:
    Rob